Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Rat Rescuer and Hospice
1,883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Poor fat little Mocha (what IS the best diet for mice? There's so much conflicting information online and they get obese so easily). This morning she was pressed up to the cage base wall trying to keep the world from spinning. I picked her up and she started the crocodile death roll...poor little thing!

I have 3 little girl mice in with my female natal rat Mini. I rescue rats so have meds and steroids, etc on hand almost all the time, so I decided to medicate her ASAP.

I gave her a wee titch of baytril with a wee titch of dexamethasone in it...she was so good, taking all her meds. :D I also gave her a little rehydrating fluid just in case she hasn't been able to drink...she took a little.

I am hoping she has enough health and fight that we can beat this, and I am also hoping its just inner ear infection. :(

Braced

here you can see her eyes look different

· Registered
1,317 Posts
:( Wish I could help--I never had this kind of problem with mice before, so I'm afraid I'm useless. Just wanted to offer my support and I really hope you can get her feeling better. :hugg2:

· Mouse Obsessor
287 Posts
Hmm, I have had a waltzing mouse before but nothing like that. My only guess is the ear infection like you said, or some type of brain tumor, stroke, or maybe something fell on her.
Unfortunatly very few of my ideas are curable. I hope it is just an ear infection and nothing too too serious.
Obviously if the meds do not work then she needs to go see a vet right away. Cannot imagne she is able to eat or drink in that state.
Good luck!

· Mouse Obsessor
287 Posts
And how is her eye reactions? Does she blink right away if you put your finger near it or does it take awhile? Or maybe her eye does not react at all? It might help with figuring out what is wrong.

1,883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have dealt with PT, stroke and inner ear infection with my rescue rats before so know what to look for. She is pretty bright and blinks well at this point. I think the worst for her is the head tilt, and the dizzies they get. She wasn't even that stressed with me handling her and syringing meds into her mouth...she just gobbled them down.

There's only 1 large shelf/level up top and a hammock they all pile in. Last night she was running on her wheel and climbing up the side of the cage as usual, so I don't think it was a fall, plus she gave me no indications of pain or injury. if there had been little Mocha would be getting icky ol' metacam instead of dexamethasone :)

the dex works very very fast, and if she hasn't passed the tilt should be a lot better tonight. :) If she's suffering I will take her in to be pts tomorrow morning, because there's not much more my vet could do for her since I am already doing it. I pray I don't have to sub-q fluids into a dehydrated mouse girl tonight. :confused:

· Mouse Obsessor
287 Posts
Well I hope she gets better. She is a beautiful little girl.
Keep us updated.

· Registered
2,347 Posts
Poor little sweetie!:(

She is just a doll, such beautiful coloring and what a pretty face she has. Just a precious lil girl. I hope she does well and we will be thinking good thoughts. Keep us posted and give her a kiss for me.

1,883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sadly she didn't respond at all...this morning she was gasping and slowly leaving. I decided against the stress of the long journey to the vet, and put her in a small carrier to pass in. She was almost comatose when I left. :/ I wonder if she had a stroke?

As soon as I removed her from the cage bottom, Mini and her other 2 meece friends came rushing down...they'd been avoiding it. They drank and ate and ran on the wheel before going back upstairs to bed.

· Mouse Obsessor
287 Posts
So sorry to hear of your loss. I had a mouse once leave me in a similar way. :(

· Registered
2,347 Posts
I am so sorry. I was hoping she would make it and get better. What a beautiful little girl. :(

· Registered
1,774 Posts
Poor little girl, RIP.
It's too bad we'll never know what she really had, I was curious about it. If she was gasping for air it was probably a respiratory/ear infection thing? (are ears and throat and all connected like in humans?)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.