Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Mouse Obsessor
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I had to euthanize my ferret today. He was 9 years old.
My sister adopted him from her neglectful friend about 5 1/2 years ago.
I will call his last owner "V". His name used to be Silverado (does not fit him. lol). V got him as a baby from a newspaper ad (that is what she told us) along with two females and another male. She left them in a small cage, never letting them out, outside in her backyard. She fed them cheap cat food which she gave them by throwing the open bag on top of the cage and it falling down.
We had tried teaching her how to care for them but she never listened. One day she told us that the youngest female had died. Apparently it died from being covered in the inches of poop in the cage and maggots getting into the sore that it caused.
My sister asked for her ferrets but she refused, so we asked V's mother and her mother told her to get rid of one. She chose MoneyPennies.
She gave the rest of her ferrets to her equally careless older sister. They ended up being tossed loose outside. The female got taken by a hawk and the male was returned to V and he later died of neglect (he lived in a kitten sized pet taxi).
Back to MoneyPennies. He was my sister and I's first ferret. We had many learned experinces with him. He made me love ferrets and have many during and after him. I got weasel paw tattoos and a ferret on my arm and the Marshal Ferret ear tattoo.
He gave me more than I could ever make up for to him.
He was the most laid back ferret. He would just lay around whenever we let him out. He did have a carpet digging habit though. lol
When I would walk him with his harness outside he would always hide underneath me to make sure he would not get attacked by birds. He trusted me, and that was the best feeling. To know that he cared about me at least somewhat as much as I cared for him...
He died from problems do to old age. We chose to euthanize him before the pain got worse. That was the only thing we could do to help him.

Rest in peace, finally, MoneyPennies. Please tell Lulu and Frodo that I miss them horribly and that I will miss you just as much.
I will think of all three of you everyday until I get to see you all once again.
I do not know how many more pieces can be removed from my heart.

Fisher will miss you. He is now alone and I hope he can handle it at least until he gets a new friend.
Sleep soundly my white speed bump...

·
Mouse Obsessor
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
My best memory of him is one cloudy day about a year ago. I walked him with his harness out in my mom's front yard. The grass was very tall but thick, dark green and soft. He slinked around in the grass but then started acting cold. I sat down and he crawled under my coat and layed down.
It started lightly raining but was still bright outside. We just sat there together for about an hour.
Those are rare calm times with ferrets.
I will think of him whenever it rains. :)

·
Betta Bomb
5,202 Posts
holy goodness. What a heart breaking loss. :( I truly am sorry to hear, Aluyasha. You were the world to little MoneyPennies and he knew it. He will always be in your heart, just let yourself relax and close your eyes. He will always be there. You are an angel, honey, know that. Here if you need to talk. Rest in Peace little guy. He really is a handsome guy eh?

·
Mouse Obsessor
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you everyone. I am just glad his pain is over.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I am sorry for your loss :(

Now you can remember all the good times you had he was responsible for. I know that you will always cherish the memory of him, like all other pets that passed away.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts