Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All, I have a question that maybe a little dumb. I bought a feeder mouse girl for a pet and I think she might be pregnant. I got a potty box for her that she uses part of the time. But she poops in her nest box too, how can that be healthy for the babies? Do they all do that or is it just my Sprite?

·
Mouse Obsessor
287 Posts
My mice almost always used the bathroom everywhere when I first got them. As they did not know what was what (that the igloo was a bed and whatnot). She should start picking a spot to use the bathroom after a while. Also, I have heard some rodents mark safe places in their cages when they first live in them (not sure though).

If/when she gives birth her instincts should tell her not to poop in the nesting box and to keep her babies clean. :)
So you only have one female? Females should at least have one other female friend living with them in order to be happy (which happiness leads to healthiness). If she is pregnant you might want to consider keeping one or two of her daughters as friends depending on the cage size.
Good luck!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for answering me, all together I have three girl mice, and when I bought them the guy said they were only two or three weeks old, since they food for the snakes and were eating real good I didn't question it. But the black girl Sprite is getting pretty round! I'm not certain she is pregnant but I'm afraid she is. I wouldn't care if they were all girls but I really don't want to have to get cages for boys.They are in a 20 gallon long tank now and at the end of September they get a 40 gallon long to play around in.

·
Mouse Obsessor
287 Posts
Female mice can get pregnant that young I believe, so it is possible. And petstores do not care about keeping apart males and females.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
girl mouse

The guy at the feed storesaid he would buy any babies she had, but they would be food items too so I can't do that! I gave them all their own nest box so I'll see what happens.

·
Mouse Obsessor
287 Posts
Yeah it is kind of hard to find pet homes for mice unfortunatly.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts