Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello everyone,

I have had three mice pass away in the past year: after becoming ill they would start to lose fur and a white crust would form just under the fur - I treated them for mites with a very gentle flea and mite bird foam (I never saw any mites/fleas, but I wanted to be safe) and I fed brown cooked rice for a week in all cases to check if it was allergies. I looked up ringworm but it did not look at all like what my mice had and oddly, this only affects one mouse at a time; the cage mates are always fine.

I called the vet but they do not treat pocket pets. The nearest office that would is a two hour drive and it is really hot here at this time of year. I have looked all over the web and I can't find any pictures or information that match what is happening to my critters. There are normally three mice in a cage at any given time and they are all male, if that explains anything. I have had 6 mice die under a year old (youngest was just a month! Most lived at least 6 months) out of the 8 I've had - I never had problems with lab mice, just the fancy ones I've been buying at the pet store (I'm starting to think the breeder may be the issue here?). I am quite alarmed and as I have other mice and I would like to avoid this happening again if at all possible.

I hope someone can help me - any input at all is appreciated! I love the little guys and money really isn't an issue.

I took some pictures but it seems I can't submit them yet. Cruddy.

·
Zoo Keeper
1,367 Posts
Could you post pictures? and is it all the same cage?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, they are all in the same cage.

tinypic .com/view.php?pic=141ifqw&s=7

tinypic .com/view.php?pic=2ijg3gm&s=7

tinypic .com/view.php?pic=b9f76e&s=7

You'll have to erase the space between "tinypic" and the ".com".

The first mouse, Snitch didn't get it as badly. I think Van Cleef (the second mouse) may have had a tumor on his neck. :(

Sorry about how the pics are linked. I hate to go and post a bunch just so I can link - my mouse just passed on so I can't say I'm the greatest company right now.

·
Zoo Keeper
1,367 Posts
That looks like a HORRIBLE reaction to bedding? What bedding do you use?

I am so sorry for your loss :(

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was using Aspen but when he started losing fur I was using paper based bedding - like Boxo and Carefresh.

·
Mouse Obsessor
287 Posts
Hmm, do you know if they are all from the same breeder? If so, perhaps, if nothing else explains it, it could be some weird genetic thing. (I am just guessing)
If you still think it might be an allergy to food you should try feeding them the rice longer than one week. I have heard two or three weeks is the span to figure out if it is food or not.
Or maybe even, you said they were all boys? A hormonal/testosrone thing? My past female mouse, Tempo, had a severe skin condition due to overactive ovaries.
I hope you find out what it wrong. Poor little guys.

·
Zoo Keeper
1,367 Posts
maybe find a new breeder and switch cages and diet? you can order like harlan 2014 or regal rat ... you want about 13 % protein

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hmm, do you know if they are all from the same breeder? If so, perhaps, if nothing else explains it, it could be some weird genetic thing. (I am just guessing)
If you still think it might be an allergy to food you should try feeding them the rice longer than one week. I have heard two or three weeks is the span to figure out if it is food or not.
Or maybe even, you said they were all boys? A hormonal/testosrone thing? My past female mouse, Tempo, had a severe skin condition due to overactive ovaries.
I hope you find out what it wrong. Poor little guys.
I bought them from a different store after the first two were sickly but I found out that they all were coming from the same breeder. It's strange but the fawn mice are never affected and the black mice are either not affected or not visibly. It's only the black/white/grey spotted mice that have gotten irritated.

If it happens again (hopefully not though!) I'll keep in mind to feed the rice longer than a week.

maybe find a new breeder and switch cages and diet? you can order like harlan 2014 or regal rat ... you want about 13 % protein
I've been buying Hagen's "Gourmet Rat And Mouse Food" and it says it is 12% protein with a 13% max. Switching food is a very good idea (they've just moved cage) - I might buy something a bit less exotic and mix it with the mix I've got or go with the food block.

I am starting to think it -may- be the breeder. I might mention my track record to the pet shop next time I'm there.

Thank you both very much!

·
Zoo Keeper
1,367 Posts
could you rescue one off a local site or something?

·
Zoo Keeper
1,367 Posts
This reminded me of your situation

"Demodex mites are the most common external parasite causing problems in hamsters. The mite lives within the hair follicles and certain skin glands of their host. The presence of these mites result in dry, scaly skin and subsequent hair loss, especially over the back and rump. This disease is rarely a problem by itself. Demodectic mange in hamsters is often associated with chronic, debilitating diseases or other underlying problems. For this reason, a thorough examination must be performed on any hamster presented with mites. To confirm the presence of mites, the veterinarian may perform a skin scraping for microscopic observation. Treatment for the mites is often possible, but remember that there may be another problem, often more severe, underlying this one which must also be addressed."

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Mites were one of the first things I thought it might be and I treated for it with a mite medicine for birds (I was told the rodent variety was a touch too strong and could actually hurt them). I did notice that after he was sprayed the white crust started to come off along with his fur. Maybe that was the mites dying? I do think that you are right, that the skin issues were the result of a deeper issue.

I did get two new mice since and I very thoroughly cleaned everything (including my oldest mouse for mites -he was pretty mad-) and froze the bedding and hay before I introduced them. They are all healthy and getting along great so far, so that is something!

Thank you for thinking of them. :)

EDIT: I was looking in the classifieds and there are a lot of people that get rodents and end up giving them away! Shame, but I'm going to keep that in mind for next time.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My mouse has the same thing

Hello, my name is JD.

I currently have one mouse right now, after my old one passed away not to long ago with his Cyst. My other mouse has that, almost, except it is not as bad. It is just- like dead skin- maybe dieing? I am not sure, but on his tummy he has no fur just his skin. He has small patches with some fur on it, other than that he doesn't. He also became very skinny and you can feel his spine easily. He also- has lost his balance. He doesn't use his tail, and doesn't use his back too feet. Although they are perfectly capable of moving, he still has grip on them. His head, also has lost hair, and his eyes go white ( Cataracts maybe) or sometimes red. I have no idea what is wrong, But one time I hadn't got to feed him. Maybe he had a stroke? I also feed him little Cheesy Treats. I have no Idea, so I also need help.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts