Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am here to look for advice. I have 3 pet store mice. Rowan and Elvira, my 2 girls, live in one cage, and Casper, my male, lives in a separate cage.

I DO NOT WISH TO BREED THEM.

But Rowan is on her way out, poor old thing, and Elvira will be left without a roomie. I don't want her to be lonely - she loves Rowan and likes to cuddle. I could get another female, but because I am looking at moving soon I really am trying to keep from getting new pets. I read elsewhere older mice may not breed. I got Elvira in October and she has never bred. Casper is about 2 years old now. Do you think it would be possible to put them together, or is Elvira still too young, or is this 'older mice won't breed' thing bunk? Not getting new pets is totally defeated if I end up with a bunch of babies. :(

I appreciate any and all advice!

---
BK

·
Registered
641 Posts
Older mice will breed just the same as younger mice. Only difference is with older mice it becomes dangerous for them to have babies. Elvira should actually be fine by herself till you move. But it would be better if you got her a friend of the same personality.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Older mice can and do breed, no matter what you read.
Elvira might be lost if she is by herself after the other one passes away, get her a friend.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you Ozzy and Windy for your advice! I am going to get Elvira a new buddy when the time comes, since pairing her with Casper is a terrible idea. I am in touch with someone who breeds mice locally already, actually. It'll be fun to have another mouseling, and I guess I can always console myself that I'm not really getting 'more' pets, just keeping the status quo... this is what I'll tell myself anyway, heheh. :rolleyes:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts