Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi i have 3 female multimammate mice that i got from a pet shop that told me they were just a little bit bigger than an average mouse. I currently have them in a hamster cage and feeding them on mouse food.
I have found out they grow to 26cm but don't know anything else about them really.
I was wanting to know what type of cage they will need, what to feed them including any treats they can have and some general information about them.
thanks emma

·
Betta Bomb
5,202 Posts
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/jean.wright93/mm/mm.htm
I found this link on them. I never heard of them until now. Apparantly they're the "link" between mice and rats. Required to live together. I would upgrade the cage to something multi-level though. These things can get big and a hamster cage isn't an okay cage for a hamster IMHO. Variate the food to include more fruit, veggies and maybe protein.
I hope you continue to do research!! There's little excuse to get a pet before researching because you don't know of any problems you might run into. So, please continue your research on these little mice/rats :D
Pictures would be a blessing ^.^

·
Rat Rescuer and Hospice
1,883 Posts
Multimammate or Natal Rats were bred to feed snakes, as they are prolific breeders (often sold in Trios), and have very little smell.

As pets they are a very very unknown factor. Most natals are NOT friendly, handleable and have been known to bite like little machine guns, over and over.

I had one, but she luckily was the sweetest thing who didn't know how she was supposed to act LOL. Mini was special for a natal. I wouldn't buy another natal(s) for her and found out they are very happy living with mice. I had Mini living with rescue mice all her life and she was content.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts