Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my dog is 13 @ getting a little clumsy etc. sometimes she wakes [email protected] night panting & im pretty sure its because of pain. i give her buffered asprin but i dont think its enough any more. is it too late to start her on the joint meds? i hear conflicting advice,but if you have some you think would help i will listen

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
best advice take her to a vet, theres always going to be conflicting advice about everything a vet would know best.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I am not sure if the the joint supplements will help. I agree with visit the vet. They do have highly effective pain killers. We had a Lab that only was able to live to be 15 due to pain killers from the vet.

·
Registered
3 Posts
...best advice is to bring her to the vet... :)

·
canis lupus familiaris
552 Posts
Yes no maybe so. Depends on what is causing the pain. I have seen dogs come in and were given aspirin with glucosamine and were eventually weaned off aspirin. Glucosamine helps restore synovial fluid in certain joints (of course not all joints have it either.) Aspirin carries the horrible side effect of stomach ulcers so yeah I'd get her checked out.

·
Registered
24 Posts
It's never too late to start her on joint med. You will likely see a difference fairly quickly. Here's a tip: Use human joint meds. You'll pay 1/4 the price and get the same results. I've been doing it for years. Plus, sometimes it's more potent.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I would give her glucosamine/chondroitin but even more importantly I have discovered enzymes, and in particular WOBENZYM N, which you can get at health food stores. It is amazing stuff... it's basically a natural anti-inflammatory, and it works. Try it!

·
Registered
22 Posts
It's never too late to start giving medications but it is best to consult a vet first before giving any medications. There are also a lot of useful stuffs you can resort to on the internet. I don't know if it's allowed to link here but I won't do it anyway as I don't wanna be banned. Your dog is quite old, he/she needs all the love, attention and care he/she could get from you and probably from the people around you. Take care!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts