Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
It's all for them
603 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum! Thank you for adopting from a shelter!

First, she needs to be spayed. Yes the carrier will be a trauma, but she'll get over it. There are going to be times in her life when she will need to go to the vet. (What kind of shelter doesn't spay the cats before they adopt them out?)

Secondly, you just have to give her time. Some cats are feral and it can take years to tame them. She probably doesn't know how to play, or love a human. Sounds like the shelter didn't help much, admitting they didn't like her, for goodness sake!

Just let her be who she is. Be there, talk to her, let her see how much fun it can be to be a cat of yours by the way you interact with your other cat.

But, besides from getting her spayed, let her be. She may be in heat now which is why she isn't eating and peed on your bed.

I adopted an unsocialized 6 month old cat 6 years ago. It took 3 years before I could even pet her. Now she is a sweet Lovey who curls up on my chest and purrs and purrs. But it took years. :)

·
It's all for them
603 Posts
Let us know how the vet appointment goes! Cats can vary on their heat symptoms, and of course I could be wrong, too :), but she is the right age for it, and cats can have silent heat cycles.

Thanks for explaining about the shelter. Anyway, you have a very special girl there. Some cats can take years to socialize, I'm glad you have two. She can learn from the older girl, for one thing, and the other kitty can keep you from feeling too frustrated wanting kitty love.

What are their names?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.