Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My boyfriend found a wild baby mouse in a car last week so we've been hand raising it for a week now. He opened his eyes about 2 days after we found him (so he's really young!). He has been very active and affectionate for the week that we had him but somehow he died last night and I don't know how. If anyone could give me some possible insight as to what happened to him it would be greatly appreciated. This was my first mouse and I'm really upset about losing him so soon. :(

I've been hand feeding him every 3-4 hours with kitten formula and he has been having healthy and regular bowel movements. He had a big cage with lots of fresh air and warm things to snuggle with. He was getting a bit cold during the nights so last night I put a small hot water bottle with a towel over it in his cage (it only covered part of the cage, not all of it) and he LOVED IT, but I'm worried that somehow that was what killed him? It wasn't too hot, just warm enough to keep him cozy but that was the only thing we did differently opposed to the other nights. Yesterday during the day he seemed a bit lethargic but I think it was mostly because he was a bit chilly when he was in his cage but he was completely fine again by the time I put him in his cage for bed.

Other than that, his behavior has been very normal and he seemed perfectly good last night when I last fed him for the night. I'm really upset about this and I just want to know if I did something wrong or if his death was a sad but natural event.

·
Rat Rescuer and Hospice
1,883 Posts
Handraising babies is insanely difficult especially when they are so young and their eyes aren't even open. You won't ever know, what happened. Did he aspirate some of the formula, was there something physiologically wrong with him already and he wasn't going to live anyways?

You did your best, and that's all you can do.

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
I am so sorry about the mouse, and I know you feel terrible, but as Lilspaz says, you did the best you could do, showed compassion and tried as hard as you could to help a small creature in need, so please don't feel bad....kindness to animals is always a good thing. :approve:

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'm so sorry to hear about your loss. Jimmie and I know how hard it is to raise a wild mouse, we lost 3. Unfortunately we think it was too late for them anyway because we think they already ingested some poison. But lucky for us we got another chance to rescue another one. About the beginning of Jan we found one crawling on the floor at his dad's house, eyes still closed so it was only a few days old. We had to try again. I kept her fed every 4 or so hrs on human soy formula for about 2 weeks then started adding baby cereal to it, little by little using less formula until it was just cereal. After about 4 weeks started introducing solid food, that was tough, for a while she wouldn't touch it, it was hard being tough and not giving in to just giving her the cereal, but she needed to get used to solids. We also had a little help from our accidental rat litter that was born Jan 14th. After they were weened and separated form their mother, we very slowly introduced her (Lucky) to the litter, we kept a very close eye on them the whole time. Then after we separated the boys and girls, we put her with the girls and they've been together since. We took a BIG chance with it, but they snuggle and groom each other, it's really cute.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Mama mice leave a baby for a reason. They sensed something was wrong with it, and couldn't devote their time or their milk to help it grow up big and strong. The baby probably had an unforeseen condition. I found a baby mouse a couple years ago apprx the same age. 2 days after I had found him his eyes opened. And he was just fine for a year. Then all of a sudden he just died.

I'm sure it was a natural event that was going to come sooner or later.

All you can do is do your best. The baby had an awesome adopted family and I'm sure died with a full belly and very happy ^^

·
Registered
236 Posts
Mirandalauren..

Yes raising a wild mouse is a challenge.Our 3rd one died in my hands.. He had like chest convolutions flipped over and was gone..! I only had him for a few days.. But I was so attached to him.. I cried like a 4 year old! Dont think of her dying..think on the week of life YOU gave her.. remember that and she will live on in your heart!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you all

Thank you everyone for your kind words and condolences. You have made me feel better about my little buddy's passing away. I never would have expected getting so attached after just one week! Animals sure can do that to you.

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
Indeed they can. I am not surprised at all that you became so attached. Any of us would.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts