Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
Please check out my website in progress. I am not selling anything:) I am trying to get some information out to folks that are kept by their birds :)
The website is not completed, but things like the Bird Care page are almost done and I have a ton of info there.

If you want to take a look, go to:

http://users.nbn.net/winchime/indexbcf.htm

Comments would be apreciated. Just remember, there are some pages that have duplicates of a simple page just to give me a format to work with when I get to that page.
Have Fun,
Bill

·
Curmudgeon
1,843 Posts
Bill,

Kudos to you! I like it.

..and since you asked for feedback, I'll give it..

Let me just say, that my criticisms are all based on my personal likes and dislikes. ...and I make no pretence that I am the normal viewer of bird websites.

The site has lots of facts. I'm a "facts" kind of guy, and I look for the meat of a site. Yours has a good helping of fact in it.

It's well organized, and the writing is very good. Explanatory without being too wordy, or overly anthropomorphic.

In the Bird Care area, I like the particular areas you concentrate on, like PTFE's and Vet care.

I look forward to seeing the Behaviors and Feeding areas when they are done. The Stories Area is not something I would even think about looking at. Apparently, many sites like to post background stories about the birds. I've yet to find one worth looking at. Personal "testimonials" have little appeal for me.

I woud say that overall, it is a very nice site. It does not fall into the traps that many sites succumb to. It's not overly preachy, and it is an honest assessment of bird ownership.

In appearance, I personally don't like the moving .gifs you see on so many parrot websites. The cockatoos you have, and the baby B&G with blinking eyes... To me, those things are annoying wastes of bandwidth, and they imply "cutesy" ....instead of facts and info... and that's what I look for in a website.

The background, while pretty ...is pretty loud too.

You have good facts and info. ...And while it's obvious that you are knowledgable about your subject, I like to know where data comes from. I like references and links to other sites with more in depth info on specific topics. You no doubt have plenty, but I'll share a couple of mine anyway:
PTFE links:
http://www.ewg.org/reports/toxicteflon/toxictemps.php

http://www.ewg.org/reports/pfcworld/products.php?prodtype=1

Avian vet link:
http://exoticpetvet.net/

It would also be helpful in the vet area to talk about how to find and recognize a good avian vet.

I think that some of the points you make are said as if the facts are black and white, ...they aren't. For instance, a blanket "DO NOT place the cage directly in front of a window!" is a little harsh, and not necessarily true. I, and many keepers I know have birds in front of windows. They enjoy the view of the outside, other birds, etc.

My suggestion would be to state (as you do in some areas) that it is your opinion. Or, you might word some of your paragraphs a little different, to explain more about the reason you say it.

Same for the example of not putting birds near the kitchen. I'd put a link at that point to take the reader farther down the page to the part on PTFE's. ..and in that area, maybe links to other, more in depth reading on the subject.

In the poison area, maybe a link to one of the pages that offer pictures of the plants, and info on symptoms and effects of poisoning by each plant.

Info or links to the national Poison Control Centers would be helpful too.
Here is some info I compiled for my own use:
The Two Main National Poison Control Centers

ASPCA:
(888) 426-4435
$50/case on Visa/MC/AMEX/Discover only

(900) 443-0000
$50/case On your phone bill

National Animal Poison Control Center
1-900-680-0000
$20 first 5 mins, $2.95/min after On your Phone bill

1-800-548-2423
$30 per case to a Visa/MC/AMEX/Discover only
I look forward to checking back in from time to time, and seeing how it progresses.

bob

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Bob,
Exactly the kind of input I am looking for! Thank You!! As things progress, You will probably see some of your suggestions used!
Thanks,
Bill

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Bob,
One of the things I have to be careful with when adding links are the unfortunate legal ramifications. If it looks like I endorse something, I can be named in a legal action. It has happened before with an online coin website i was involved in. I don't need those headaches any more. I am going to try to add a way to suggest that people do searches for various things that can get them to the various websites on their own.
But I agree, some ways to get people to other factual information is helpful.
Thanks Again,
Bill
PS: I changed some of the wording on the bird care page to reflect your thoughts.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Bob,
Me again. I added a link where I mention PTFE that actually does a google search . The results will give people ample opportunity to read about the issue elsewhere and keeps me from linking to a particular site.
I think It's a nice fenagle :)
Thanks,
Bill

·
Curmudgeon
1,843 Posts
Good idea, sending them right to a search.

I don't know if you've ever tried "Clusty", but it's a different search engine that uses somewhat differing algorithms than Google.

I like it better because it gives more cogent answers to searches than Google. Clusty groups it's findings into similar words and phrases (clusters). Google just finds the words and lists them in order of popularity.

It's much easier to selectively search with Clusty, and then to wade through the results to find what you're looking for.

It's at Clusty.com. It even has an add-on for your toolbar (I use Mozilla Firefox) that make searching even easier than the Google toolbar.

Bob

1 - 8 of 8 Posts