Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is the deal. Three weeks ago my dog chased my 12 year old, 17 pound cat down a flight of stairs in my home. They do this all the time so I thought nothing of it at the time, my cat even chases my dog sometimes!

About three hours later I noticed my cat couldn't walk and over the next 12-24 hours he got to the point where he was hissing and growling when he tried to get up, it was definitely his backside that was hurt. I made an appointment with the vet for the next day and to my amazement my cat strolled out of the area where he secluded himself right before I was to take him to the vet, but was still acting tender and hissing when we touched his back right hip. He was also eating during this time period when I laid his food in front of him. I postponed his appointment for a day to see if he would get even more better but he was still acting funny so as a precaution I took him anyway 24 hours later.

The vet took x rays and they came back negative as far as broken bones or ruptured disks but she noticed he had a large amount of stool in his colon. This made sense to me since he was eating but couldn't get to the litter box for about 3 days. The vet gave me pain medicine and said this may relieve his pain so he would use the bathroom.

Well, a week went by after our first vet visit and he still hadn't defecated but was urinating. He started to throw up his food and basically couldn't keep anything solid down but he kept going back to his dish so I knew he still had an appetite. Aside from this he totally isolated himself from everything. He used to be the ultimate lap cat, picture garfield, totally the king of our house. It's like his personality was changing.

I started reading about megacolon and all these horrible things online so I took him back to the vet after a week because I could tell something was still wrong and sure enough he was full of stool (according to a new xray) but according to the vet he wasn't at the point of no return or anything so she took blood, urine, ran a thyroid test and gave him an enema.

All tests came back as normal except he had a small amount of white blood cells in his urine which I was told was normal for a cat that was stressed and the enema successfully cleaned him out. I took him home, he continued to vomit after eating even though he was now officially empty of stool. This went on for about another week and a half. Even worse, he would puke up a clear foamy liquid when I petted him and he would constantly lick his lips and swallow. He moved about 30 total feet a day now whereas he used to run all over my house and play all the time. My vet gave me a stool softener which I have given him twice a day for several days now. He no longer comes when called, he stares off into space and only walks to come and get food. He act terrified.

After finding a soft food he could eat without puking (thank god for Paul Newman's organic cat food) he now eats about a quarter of what he did before this episode started, and I don't think he's drinking, although I gave him some milk last night and he lapped that right up. He will play if you dangle a string in front of him but I've noticed his sides are going in and out in an exaggerated way and every now and then he's huffing when breathing but I can still get him to purr with a good rub down. He's eaten 7 straight meals without puking and pooping just once a day.

I just want my old cat back! Is he dying? Could he have suffered a concussion and he's mentally messed up? I've spent about $1000 dollars in vet bills in the last month and now the only thing they tell me is let him rest because of his normal test results. Dion now basically lives in my 10x10 bathroom and I miss him. At least he's still alive I guess but I don't know if he's suffering which is the worst part. I cannot stress enough that he was perfectly fine before his initial hip injury. Sorry this is so long but that's my story.:(

·
Aspires to Stupidity
2,312 Posts
Aww, I'm so sorry. I hope he gets better soon. Sorry I can't offer any advice or anything. Please update on his progress though. :)

·
Registered
219 Posts
Yes, please do. I hope little Dion gets better! Maybe he's a little scared. I really hope he's alright.

·
Registered
6,028 Posts
Poor Kitty :(

Your doing the best you can for Dion. Your a wonderful Daddy to Dion.
I hope that with all the love and care your giving him that he does get better eventually.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's over...

Dion died this morning. He had congestive heart failure according to the vet. Needless to say I'm destroyed. Thanks for everyone who responded.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I'm so sorry for your loss.

·
Registered
6,028 Posts
Oh, Im sorry to hear that :(

You did the best you could. Take comfort that he is not suffering now.

·
laugh often
1,690 Posts
I am sorry for your loss.

·
Registered
771 Posts
I'm sorry for your loss. You did everything you could and I'm sure he appreciated that.

·
can't think of one, help
1,115 Posts
I'm so sorry for your loss, I was told congestive heart failure in cats can be sudden. It is so distressing to lose our furchildren

·
Guarded by Waffles
2,921 Posts
I'm so sorry for your loss. At least he knew you loved him and died where he was comfortable. I'm sorry again.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts