Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My chinchilla got a foot wound a couple weeks ago and since then I've tried my best to keep him from jumping around a whole bunch to give it time to heal. He's been at the bottom of his cage (removed other levels) for a few days to a week now and it's still bleeding. I saw him last night and saw him picking at the wound. Before I could stop him, he was bleeding!!
He doesn't bleed long.
He can pick at the wound and be done bleeding in the time it takes someone to go to the bathroom. I ran downstairs to get some flour, but when I came back upstairs, he was already done bleeding. He doesn't bleed a lot, but there is weird goopy blood in the mix. The blood, when wiped up, looks like that Gooz kids used to buy way back when.
I don't know how to get him to stop picking at the wound or why he might be picking at it. Is he biting at it because it's itchy or irritated? What would it look like if it was infected? Is this self mutilation from being lonely or sad (He's 1.5 yo and lives alone in a big cage)?? :confused: I play with him and handle him daily, but lately he's just seemed so down, agitated, and uninterested. I was thinking about getting another chinchilla once his foot heals up. Is this a good idea anymore?
I called a vet only to get told I needed to have an appointment for them to give any advice. :mad2: It made me really angry that he listened to my problem and then asked me to make an appointment. I've been to that vet before and they honestly didn't look like they had a clue as to what they were doing and I don't want to go back, but I was desperate. Now I'm just angry with them again.
Anyone have any personal experience with a chinchilla who got a foot wound of any sort? Do I really need to take him to a vet? What could a vet do to help him? :confused:

·
Registered
381 Posts
If your chin is healthy and the only problem here is to stop him from chewing on the wound then I would suggest an e-collar like the one a dog wears around their necks.... if your vet does not have one small enough for your chin you could always make your own.

Good Luck...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If your chin is healthy and the only problem here is to stop him from chewing on the wound then I would suggest an e-collar like the one a dog wears around their necks.... if your vet does not have one small enough for your chin you could always make your own.

Good Luck...
How could I make one durable enough for him and safe enough?

·
Registered
642 Posts
Yes, you need to go to a vet. Wounds are nothing to mess with, especially in a small animal. The fact that it looks like gooz is a sign of infection, just like in humans when a wound gets infected it oozes. So, a vet would be able to prescribe antibiotics to avoid the infection from getting worse. The fact you notice an attitude change would also signal that it's time for a vet visit. The e-collar is a good idea, but if there is an infection it needs to be treated. Check the outside of the wound for redness and if it feels hot...any of these signs are caused by infection.

Is he eating and pooping normally?

Good luck and keep us posted!

:crossed:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes, you need to go to a vet. Wounds are nothing to mess with, especially in a small animal. The fact that it looks like gooz is a sign of infection, just like in humans when a wound gets infected it oozes. So, a vet would be able to prescribe antibiotics to avoid the infection from getting worse. The fact you notice an attitude change would also signal that it's time for a vet visit. The e-collar is a good idea, but if there is an infection it needs to be treated. Check the outside of the wound for redness and if it feels hot...any of these signs are caused by infection.

Is he eating and pooping normally?

Good luck and keep us posted!

:crossed:

Oh yeah, he's functioning perfectly fine and when he's not bothering with his foot, he's fine. When I get him out, he runs around and has fun and acts like nothing happened. Though when he's picking at his foot, he gets kind of angry.

As for the ooze, it's not like it's puss or anything. It's like..gloopy blood. But yeah, I agree, I guess it is time for him to go see a vet.

·
Registered
8,706 Posts
Agreed, it sounds like it could be infected (attitude decline, constantly picking at it) and he should see an exotics familiar veterinarian.

And please, please don't put an e-collar on a chin without direct veterinary supervision. Chinchillas eat with their front paws. An e-collar directly prevents that, which can lead to the chin ceasing eating altogether. That in itself is deadly. This is why we don't allow medical advice ... :sigh:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Agreed, it sounds like it could be infected (attitude decline, constantly picking at it) and he should see an exotics familiar veterinarian.

And please, please don't put an e-collar on a chin without direct veterinary supervision. Chinchillas eat with their front paws. An e-collar directly prevents that, which can lead to the chin ceasing eating altogether. That in itself is deadly.
Ooo, glad I haven't done anything yet. > <;;
I'll have to look for one close to my area since I don't really want to go to the same exotics vet I went to with a previous animal (the vet caused my poor baby so much stress he passed out, then he dropped him on the table until he woke up, about a foot above the cold, hard, metal table. ): )

·
Registered
381 Posts
Yes... please when using the e-collar (if you do) do it with supervision as any pet owner would knowingly do.... you would have to remove it at night for eating, but place it back on during the day.

Good Luck... with the vet apt if you feel it is needed.

·
Registered
381 Posts
FYI - (some else I forgot to mention)
>>>>
Blue Kote is often used on Chins and other small animals for surface wounds (not deep wounds).... you can usually find this products at most tractor supply / feed store.
>>>>
Do not get it on anything that you care about as it will stain and not wash off.
>>>>
Blue Kote comes in a spray bottle... so I would recommended you use a q-tip to apply it, other wise you will have a big mess, have a napkin handy to lay the q-tip on - then throw away.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
FYI - (some else I forgot to mention)
>>>>
Blue Kote is often used on Chins and other small animals for surface wounds (not deep wounds).... you can usually find this products at most tractor supply / feed store.
>>>>
Do not get it on anything that you care about as it will stain and not wash off.
>>>>
Blue Kote comes in a spray bottle... so I would recommended you use a q-tip to apply it, other wise you will have a big mess, have a napkin handy to lay the q-tip on - then throw away.
Hey, that's pretty cool. I made a weird face hearing when you said it came from a tractor store though. o.0 I'll search around for it though and see if that can't be used or found in my area. ^^ Thanks! <3

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Actually, no. I was planning on going to the same exotic vet my friend goes to since she has had a good experience with them with all her pets and the one I went to killed my last animal, but the exotic vet doesn't get back until tomorrow (Monday).

You know, it's the strangest thing. He stopped picking at his wound two days ago and hasn't bled since. He's acting better, but taking it easy. Is it possible that dust just got in his wound (since there was dust in his cage when the wound was open and he was bleeding) and that irritated him? Then once it was out he started to let it heal? I mean, I got a nice look at the wound a couple of times and it was NEVER puffy or really all that red. It was the same as his other foot, just a little pink and tender looking. There was never ay puss or ooze stuff, just weird blood my gramma suggest might have been coagulated.
I'm thinking of perhaps waiting just a couple more days to see how things go. If he starts bleeding again, I'll take him to vet for sure, but if not, I'm thinking I'll just let it heal and keep a close eye on it.

What are your opinions?

·
Registered
642 Posts
Chins hide pain and illness extremely well; one day they can be totally fine and the next day dead. I lost my first chin in a matter of 12 hours. He was fine...nothing wrong at all. Then he got diarrhea so I took him right away and he died that night. The vet, however, did everything in her power to save him and once he began slipping away did everything to make sure that he was comfortable. I'm not saying your chin is dying or on death's door step, I just think that since chins are such delicate animals anytime something happens that could cause illness, a medically trained vet should double check just to make sure that nothing will happen. Personally, having the piece of mind that it wasn't infected would be the best thing. Even in people, an infection can get ugly in just a few hours.

But if you're monitoring him and things seem ok, it's your call. If his attitude is at all still altered I would take him in ASAP.

Good luck with your chin :) Let us know how he does

·
I'm not weird, I'm gifted
1,530 Posts
Actually all animals are good at hiding pain :)
If you show you are in pain, you will die in the wild.

As Janelle says, it can be very hard to see if anything is wrong with a chinchilla, because it hids it's pain very well. After a couple of years with chinchillas, it do get easier though. You pick up on small things "new" people don't notice, so in the first couple of years, it will be a good idea to visit the vet every time you think something is wrong. Better safe than sorry :)

Some people say that the chinchilla will stress and die if taken to the vet, but I've never actually seen this, or ever heared of a chinchilla that died because of this :) They do not die from stress if taken to the vet. If they die after a visit to the vet, in 99,9% of the times, it will be something else.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I know what you're talking about, but I honestly don't think there's anything to fret about.
He hasn't leaked a drop of blood for three days now, at it's worst, it was never swollen, never red, and never oozed blood.
Now it looks fine. A nice little scab is forming over it and it's hardly even pink anymore. He's taking it easy when I let him out, he's not running around like a hyped up mad man, but he still walks around everywhere and hops off the walls and runs occasionally.

I was only afraid of the vet because he killed my last animal. He did NOT look like he knew what he was doing. He was looking up at my mother and I while sticking a syringe down his throat and caused him to black out from putting it in the wrong way. Then he just dropped it on the table from like a foot above it until he woke up. Let me tell you about this table too. It was metal and uncovered. I didn't see him clean it before hand, but I figured he did until I walked out and someone else walked into the same room and the vet didn't clean the table before putting the next patient up there! Ick!! I've established a new vet to go to, though its a bit away, I'd rather go there than go back to that stupid vet..

·
I'm not weird, I'm gifted
1,530 Posts
It sounds okay :)
Just keep an eye on the wound.
You could use camomile tea and use it on the wound.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
It sounds okay :)
Just keep an eye on the wound.
You could use camomile tea and use it on the wound.
We don't normally have tea around here, but it shouldn't be a problem to go get some. :)
How I use it? Like.. I make tea, right? Or grind up the leaves and..? DX *lost*

1 - 20 of 35 Posts