Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi
about a month ago i came in my house to find one of my degus (carl) had is throat torn i took him out the cage but about a hour later he died in my hands my other degu (lenny)had killed him (they were brothers and have always been together).

i still have lenny but i can't help wonder WHY? i think lenny had been sexualy assaulted by carl before and i don't know wheter it was natural aggression or if carl had forced him to defend himself.

ive heard about introducing new degus but i don't realy know what would hapen. personley i don't think lenny would do that un-agravated but i arn't 100% sure he is a very social and friendly degu.
i don't want lenny to be lonley but i realy don't want to go threw losing another degu. i realy want whats best for lenny

please help me find out why it happend and what i should do next (thank you)

·
Resident Aquarium Nerd
9,930 Posts
I'm very sorry for your loss :(.

First, degus don't really do "sexual assaults". Some humping is normal and a dominance thing but it's not sexual. It can get aggressive, though.

How big is the cage? Did you ever notice a pattern to the fighting? Some common times for fighting are after the cage is cleaned, when something is new in the environment, and feeding time.

Did Lenny have any injuries?

Aggression (towards other degus) has sadly become more common in the last few years and may have simply been genetics. Where did you get your degus?

Another possibility is that one of the degus was sick, causing them to act aggressively (or the other to act aggressively towards them). I experienced this with two sisters who had lived together for years. One had been acting a bit "off" and was not yet diagnosed when she violently attacked her sister (and was killed as her sister defended herself). I'm almost 100% certain that whatever was wrong with her caused her to "snap" like that :(.

If Lenny was usually the friendlier one and was most likely defending himself, you are probably safe to get another degu (a baby would be the safest for introductions), provided the cage is large enough (males need a TON of space).

Again, I'm sorry for your loss, that must have been shocking :(.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
REPLY FROM jono

hi thanks for the advice and as a answer to your questions.

1.i got the cage from pets at home the (Chinchilla and Degu Cage by Thickets House).

2.i got lenny and carl from pets at home as well they were under 8 weeks old.

3.lenny had some deep marks on his back that had blead 1's or 2's before

4. there wasn't realy a pattern to there fighting

thanks for replying.

·
Resident Aquarium Nerd
9,930 Posts
Do you know the dimensions of the cage? We don't have Pets at Home here so I'm not sure how big it is.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
my cage is

Its a wire cage from the shop measuring1x0.6x0.7
It was recomended by the store were I got the degus from.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts