Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone help. My degu had his teeth filed on Friday and will not eat. I took him back to the vets today and they said they can't do anything for him other an to carry on trying to shringe feed him. When I do this the food just sits in his mouth and I can't get him to swallow it. His mouth is bleeding under his tounge and it must be too painfull for him.

Does anyone please please have any suggestions...?

·
Registered
187 Posts
Sorry I don't know much about degus but with our other critters [including ourselves] whenever we have an injury in our mouths we use honey. It is an antiseptic/anesthetic. It stops bleeding immediately and helps clean and heal the injury. It also acts as a mild pain reliever. We use it on cuts anywhere on the body. It has worked great for us in the past. You might want to check and see if honey is okay for degus first. Good luck!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for this information. I had to force feed him every 2 hours for day then he started to chew the stringed food, it's been almost 2 weeks now and he still isn't wanting to eat by himself.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Honey isn't good for degus.

Maybe he is in pain and needs buprenorphine. Did the vet give you any pain medication? How old is he? Will he eat oats? Green peas?

·
Registered
188 Posts
Moderators – this post is not in the right place

Moderators: Cherryadairr's posts have nothing to do with degus. Why is it showing up where it does? Can something be done about this?

·
Registered
10 Posts
So what does it mean to float a horse's teeth? I'm sure you've heard this a time or two (if you haven't, sooner or later you will from another horse owner or from your vet), and if you're like me, you imagined for the longest time what this could possibly mean and wondered what it involved.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts