Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a female lionhead rabbit age around 1 month... im very new on this type of breed so i need some tips on how to take care of it fully..

well... can i groom it many times a day? because everytime i groomed it.. i got some hairs.. im afraid the rabbit become bald if i keep on grroming LoL :p

And the rabbit didnt chew on things.. i bought it toys ball and chew stuff but she didnt play with it..

and ive read that LionHeads need hay for digestive solution, in my country, Brunei.. the only hay i could find is brand Puik.. and there are 3 types.. the peppermint, herb and dandelions.. which 1 is better for my lionheads? i [planned to buy all of them and mix it together... is that ok?

any additional thing i should know of? please guide me cause i really love my LionHead rabbit :)

· Premium Member
4,281 Posts
Hey!

Lionheads are pretty much the same care wise as any other breed of rabbits, if you have any experience with other breeds.

I think grooming once a day should be fine. My lionhead does a great job at keeping his fur looking nice so I don't go crazy grooming him. When he's molting I brush him more than normal but other than that I stick to brushing every other day or so. Once a day should be fine.

Give her time with the toys, if you just got her she may not be completely comfortable in her new home and may start playing more once she's more use to things.

All rabbits need hay for their digestive tract as well as for their teeth (chewing on it helps keep their teeth healthy.) I don't know what Puik is. Does it say what type of hay it is, of what it's made from? For example here we have Timothy hay, Meadow Hay, Alfalfa Hay...those are not brands they are types of hay, each one is made from a different type of plant. Alfalfa hay is fine for young rabbits but as they mature you'll want to switch them over to a grass based hay.

She should have hay to eat all the time. If she runs out, give her more. It's the most important part of a rabbit's diet.

Do you have vets there who have experience with rabbits? I'd say one of the most important thing to do, especially since you have a female, is to see if you can find a vet who can safely spay her. Female rabbits commonly get a type of cancer that can be 100% eliminated if you get them spayed. Spaying also helps with litter box skills and behavior.

Congrats on your new bunny! What is her name? I have a male lionhead named Barnaby.

· Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Hello..thanks for your reply that is very helpful..

Well regarding the hay..the only thing i can see feom the package it says herb hay with nettles, dandelions and peppermints.. We dun have timothy hay or anytng u mentioned above.. How sad for me...

Oh and about spaying.. Currently i planned to mate her once ahe mature so i can get lionhead breeds, in our country lionhead breeds are expensive and rare types..thats why and we rarely practiced spaying here..i know it sounds silly but its the truth..this is the frst tym i heard abput spaying rabbits..

Btw is it possible to mate her with normal rabbit and get lionhead babies??

And thanks again hope to hear from u some more..well her name is crystal since shes so white..LoLs!! :) oh i think my crystal says hello to your Barnaby :D

· Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh here is additional infos:

Im currently training her to do litter box skills.. well ive read on the net many things saying that a baby rabbit hard to learn unless shes about 3-4 months old..

Currently im putting her in a cage inside a small bathroom.. the cage door always open so she can go in and out whenever she wants, ive put one litter box (Box A) in her cage and another one (Box B) inside the bathroom where i last saw her urine..

However, she keeps urinating in different places, and the last time i saw urine in 3 different places (LoLs!! so smelly..have to use vinegar) However, most of the time she loves to stay at the litter box inside her cage..what am i suppose to do here? should i move the litter box B to the place where she urine next or create another litter box? as i read from a web, creating too many litter box can confuse her that is the reason why i only create two boxes so far..

and for the food, currently since she is still young (1 month) i only served her pellets cause thats what i read (sorry since i usually do things after i read).. and the webpage says that when shes reaching 4 months then i can serve her the mix foods.. but this website -> www(dot)yourpetshealth(dot)co(dot)uk/page13.htm do not recommend mix foods, only pellets, veggies and hay.. what you guys say? i dont mind feeding her pellets if that is good for her..

and one last thing, is her hair gonna grow even longer once shes getting bigger? i would love to see that *wink*

· Premium Member
4,281 Posts
No breeding her with another breed will not produce lionheads, they will be mixed breeds. This is something you really should know already if you are going to breed. I really hope you've done your research and considered this well because breeding isn't all cute fuzzy babies and breeding animals the right way is almost never profitable. No offense, but from your posts it doesn't sound like you have much experience with rabbits. I really think you have a lot more to learn before you even consider breeding.

She's a baby still and like human babies, you can't expect her to be potty trained right away. It will take some time, baby bunnies are messy. Getting them spayed usually also really helps to improve litter box habits. Are you putting hay inside her litter boxes? If not, I recommend that you do.

For diet...she needs hay. I really hope you are feeding her hay, it's very important! The pellets should be plain pellets, no treats or seeds or anything mixed in.

Here are some links for you to check out, I really highly recommend this website for learning how to care for her.

http://www.rabbit.org/faq/sections/diet.html

http://www.rabbit.org/faq/sections/litter.html

http://www.rabbit.org/care/index.html

· Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks.. I had rabBits before but just normal rabbits..nothing special and i just took care of them without nothing special but currently i had this special breed i really want to take good care of her

btw..my last rabbit that was a long time ago..LoL..now im starting from scratch..thx for the tips,helps and poated links :)

· Rodentologist
1,941 Posts
They're just the same as other rabbits. They just have long fur around their head. They require the same nutrition, housing, and health needs.

· Betta Bomb
5,417 Posts
Agreed. Cost should be expensive on rabbits to discourage so many people from wanting them. In Canada and USA there is such an over population and hundreds of thousands of homeless pets residing in shelters and foster homes because people do not have them spayed and neutered then cannot keep up with the babies. If only rabbits to buy here were a couple hundred dollars. . .

I also agree you should do more research concerning diet and basic habits. Lionheads are rabbits, there's nothing special about them except (as Jenni said) they have longer fur requiring more grooming. I personally think you should NOT breed to fill a niche market where people want to acquire a lionhead rabbit for cheap bc chances are they will not live past a year. No offense but you cannot just hand out your babies to anyone for a bit of cash and expect the rabbits to be cared for. There are enough unwanted rabbits as it is.

In the meantime, it would be lovely for you to post pics and get to know us and us you. There are a lot of bunny people here and we would like to offer advice and support to you and your little bunny.

Kudos to whats been said about getting a vet. I've spent hundreds, if not thousands, in 4 years on my two bunnies alone. They can get quite sick quite fast and you need to be prepared to take care of that. Best of luck.

· Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
no worries.. ill keep that in mind.. err.. about the cost... its not expensive here just to avoid people to adopt them.. its expensive here because a lionhead is rare... i really wish homeless rabbits from yours can be shipped to my place.. i will be happy to take them.. especially those furry doll like :)

· is a little "special"
4,182 Posts
Good luck with your bunnies. :) Lionheads are such cuties!
Yeah, there are tons of homless bunnies in the US: You can find lionheads and many other "fancy" breeds at any shelter you go to.

Another thing to keep in mind with lionheads and any other dwarf breed is that they are very prone to teeth problems because of their small compact head, and they don't always show up until later in life. You wouldn't want to breed your rabbits, and then find out a few years later that they have horrible teeth problems that could have been passed on to their babies.

· Rodentologist
1,941 Posts
Anything new and rare is considered expensive and exotic. Unfortunately, this type of "marketing" usually ends up with uneducated people buying them and then they end up living pretty poor lives.

· Registered
2 Posts
I have two lion head's !

Hello,
I have two Lion Head Rabbits, Molly (We later discovered he was a she and he is a dwarf lion head.) And Toffee ( Who is a girl and at the moment we think she's pregnant). I usually Groom them once a day. If you have a run for them to get some excersise put them in the once a day too. I think the best food for them is Nuggets or Mixed food. Any brand will do (If you are planning to change the brand or type for any reason do it slowly by mixing it with the new food and taking less and less of the old food out every day). Danilion leaves (fresh ) are very healthy for lionheads!

Good Luck Email Me If You Have Any Problems! :talk:​

· Registered
2 Posts
Hello,

I have two Lion Head Rabbits, Molly (We later discovered she was a he and he is a dwarf lion head.) And Toffee ( Who is a girl and at the moment we think she's pregnant). I usually Groom them once a day. If you have a run for them to get some excersise put them in the once a day too. I think the best food for them is Nuggets or Mixed food. Any brand will do (If you are planning to change the brand or type for any reason do it slowly by mixing it with the new food and taking less and less of the old food out every day). Danilion leaves (fresh ) are very healthy for lionheads!

Good Luck Email Me If You Have Any Problems! :talk:​
Oh, And They also like apple and other fruit and veg reseach what they can and cannot eat!!!

· Rodentologist
1,941 Posts
Mixed food is not only not good for them, it's one of the most unhealthy things you can feed a rabbit. Please read rabbit.org, especially since you've got a pregnant doe who's especially going to need correct nutrition to prevent birth defects.

· is a little "special"
4,182 Posts
Yup, preggo buns need straight alfalfa pellets. With the Mixed kinds, they will pick out and only eat their "favorites", which results in very poor nutrition. Not to mention rabbits shouldn't have half the things that are in those blends anyways (Nuts and seeds especially should never be given) and many of the ingredients are potential choking hazards.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.