Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I brought my hamster Olly to the vet and he said let the hamster die naturally in his own time and that was all grand when he only had one tumber. Now he has nine, they were on his stomach, legs and even by his mouth. I love him and he can still run around, but it is cruel to let him die naturally or should I end his life before it gets any worse?

· she-mayor of Whoville
298 Posts
oh no, not by the mouth .. :/ what kind of hamster is it?

· Registered
15 Posts
Are they external tumors? I think the onea udnder the skin are the ones they really cant do much for. My last hamster ChiChi had a huge tumor in her side. Originally I planned to let nature take ots course, but when I noticed she couldnt even get up to get water without falling and hurt too bad to even get out of her sleeping hole I made the decision to have her euthanized. Its going to have to be a personal choice for you, My vet thought paying to have a hamster put down was crazy, but to me it was worth it for her to be able to die with some level of comfort. Good luck making a decision!

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
He is a dwarf hamster and I can see the lumps, there all red and swollen. I think they could be infected or something. He fur doesn't look as sleek or nice anymore either, thanks for all your help if anyone has any other thoughts thats may help me please shara.

· Registered
43 Posts
Elli, if they where Abcesses the Vet wouldn't have said they where Tumors :\

I think the best thing to do is to put the poor baby down - I know you may not want to because you love them but they are obviously suffering. Tumors suck up blood in the areas they are resting, and when they run out their either rot away causing infection or they can rupture causing internal bleeding and a lot of pain.

If they are near the mouth it may be painful to eat or put items in it's pouches.

Putting the little guy down to sleep would be the best option.

(By the way, I am a Veterinary Technician, and we see cases like this very often and find that putting them to rest is the best option as to prevent things from getting worse or causing a long and elongated painful death.)

I am very sorry for your Hamster and I am sure you love your Hamster very much just as much as it loves you. Please think about it :(

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.