Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
yeah so all he does is sit on his log and lay under the lights(occasionally going to get food) and now his head is turning black?

and this has happened before and i tried to look online but i only found other people with the same problem and no answers.
so do i need to take him to a vet or is it normal or what?

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
They will turn black when they are stressed, scared, angry, territorial, sick etc… They also turn darker colors when they are cold in order to absorb more heat when they bask

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
They will turn black when they are stressed, scared, angry, territorial, sick etc… They also turn darker colors when they are cold in order to absorb more heat when they bask
well it seems when i take him out a lot and have him out most of the day his color is fine but when i put him in his cage he turns black if i dont mess with him.
if you had to guess what it might be what would u guess?

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
im honestly not sure maybe his tank is to cold ?

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yeah i kinda thought that after you said theyll turn black when trying to get warmer.. cause hes always on his log under the lights. he only turns black when i use the uvb light.. before i was using a light that wasnt uvb (i didnt know it wasnt) and he wasnt turning black. i feel so confused lol

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i have a heat lamp that is red that i leave on all the time (its not bright so it doesnt keep him up) and the uvb but i think i need another heat lamp cause it just doesnt seem very hot.

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
you may just need a stronger watt bulb

·
Rodentologist
1,941 Posts
Do you have a thermometer to measure the temperature? That way you wouldn't have to "guess" if you're freezing your iguana into poor health.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Do you have a thermometer to measure the temperature? That way you wouldn't have to "guess" if you're freezing your iguana into poor health.
i do but i put it in a stupid place and its always wrong.. im getting a new one as soon as someone in my house wants to give me a ride to the store

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
oh yeah but i think its a normal thing cause his head went back to normal and its been normal. it seems every time i take him out it goes to normal? its odd

·
is a little "special"
4,131 Posts
Lizards change colors depending on their moods too. A lot of them will turn lighter colors when you take them out of their cage, because they are happy to be out with you. It's kinda funny, cause they will "tell" you exactly what they do and don't like! What are your temps exactly? He could just be absorbing heat, but they will turn dark colors when something is wrong with their set up too.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Lizards change colors depending on their moods too. A lot of them will turn lighter colors when you take them out of their cage, because they are happy to be out with you. It's kinda funny, cause they will "tell" you exactly what they do and don't like! What are your temps exactly? He could just be absorbing heat, but they will turn dark colors when something is wrong with their set up too.
95-98 right now. i hate this thermometer cuz it doesnt tell me the exact temps

1 - 18 of 18 Posts