Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have two degu pairs, one pair is in a tank and the other in a smaller tank with a metal cage topper. I really like the cage topper cause it's easier for me to add pet store shelves, branches, water bottles etc...

The only problem is one of my degus, Sneakers, is constantly chewing on the metal bars. He has a house he chews on, branches to run and chews on, a wheel to run on, and anything else a lil degu could ask for any ideas why he would incessantly chew on the cage?

Should I give them more toys? It seems whenever I add toys to the top of the cage they drag them to the bottom (no matter how big) and then he comes back up to the top to chew some more on the metal.

Thoughts? I'm willing to try anything, the noise is awful and it can't be good for his teeth.

·
Resident Aquarium Nerd
9,930 Posts
How often do you let him out of his cage? Maybe he's just bored (and yeah, I'd get some new toys).

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How often do you let him out of his cage?
All my degus comes out daily, though more on weekends and I handle them as often as possible, each one gets some personal time in the morning before I leave, then when I get home and play time in pairs in the closed off stairway or spare room.

Maybe I'll try and find toys that I can attach to the top of the cage so they can't yank 'em downstairs.

·
Resident Aquarium Nerd
9,930 Posts
Look in the bird section. I got a bunch of neat hanging bird toys for my degus :). Ropes, wooden chews, ladders, etc.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I saw some neat toys online earlier that were ladders and platforms that can hook onto the cage with metal chains, I'll stop tonight and see what my local hardware store has for powder coated chains and rig something with one of the bird ladders and some of their other chew sticks.

Any other suggestions are appreciated!

·
Resident Aquarium Nerd
9,930 Posts
One other suggestion is to have a variety of things to chew. Try different kinds of wood, for example. All degus are different. Brenda, my degu, loves balsa wood and willow. In the past I've even had degus who preferred pumice stones to wood/cardboard--it all depends on their personality.

Oh, and if you see any bird toys that have bells, try them out. A lot of degus like making noise, haha. But if the degus are in your bedroom you might have to take the bells out at night :lol:.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hmm I think they would drive me nuts with a bell but it may be worth a try.

I didn't think of some of my degus preferring different kinds of wood! It seemes obvious now kind of like how Rascal prefers seed treats and Sugar prefers corn.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I had the same problem but it was only in one main front left corner of the cage. I put a big natural rock in there from the garden so they couldn't get to it and it stopped pretty much straight away. They couldn't chew it and they couldn't move it. :) worked a treat.

If they really are driving you nuts and won't stop with that then you can always resort to a little fine water mist from a spray. They really don't like that at all and if they relate biting the cage with water they will soon stop. Not too much as they don't like water at all.

(I felt a bit guilty though after trying that and had to give them a dust bath after as she looked so wet and sad.)

1 other option....I got a load of sticks (apple tree I think but can't be sure) and fixed them all around the corners of the cages and up the sides so they focused on them instead. The males nailed the sticks in seconds but the females are more delicate and they last much longer. Fun to climb too.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I had meant to pick up a nice rock from my gram's for their cage the last time I was at the cottage. One of the beaches near her house is FULL of rocks whose sharp edges have been worn down by the tides. I'll have to wait till next spring to get a wonderful smooth rock but I'll see what I can find for a nice corner rock the next time I go for a walk. It does seem to only be one corner he's chewing on. We just replaced one of the mesh platforms with kiln dried pine today so hopefully that'll peak his interest more than the bars too!

Y'all are full of great tips and ideas!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts