Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've tried home made playpens with hard board AND the "grrreat wall." At only 3 months old she can clear 24" without even trying. It's ridiculous. Will it stop as she gets older? What can I get now that the great wall has failed??? I don't know what to do! I'm 5'1 so when it's higher I can't step over it to end get to her! Any ideas? Do you know a BIG playpen with a cover? hmmm....:confused:

(out of my 6 rats she is the ONLY one that can clear over 23"!)

· Registered
10 Posts
At pet smart you can buy playpens for them but she may be able to climb out I have a hamster ad I let her out in a hamster ball then If you put in your bedroom close the door and make sure she doesn't chew wires and if there are no doors where you put her down than block stairs with pillows it works.

You can also get a towel and place your pet on the towel on your lap let her run around when she gets close to the edge place your hand infront of her until she walks away from the edge

It works with my hamster

· Registered
10 Posts
At pet smart you can buy playpens for them but she may be able to climb out I have a hamster ad I let her out in a hamster ball then If you put in your bedroom close the door and make sure she doesn't chew wires and if there are no doors where you put her down than block stairs with pillows it works.

You can also get a towel and place your pet on the towel on your lap let her run around when she gets close to the edge place your hand infront of her until she walks away from the edge

It works with my hamster

· Rat Rescuer and Hospice
1,883 Posts
What type of Pen do you have?

She likely will grow and won't be able to jump quite as high later in life, but for now I would advise picking up coroplast panels and creating a pen that is 3' high as some rats are very adept at leaping 2'.

· Registered
1,317 Posts
Stanley used to easily clear 24" when he was a baby. You might try a playpen with a mesh top, or just simply stay in the pen with them when they are out to play. That's what I did with my boys until they were old enough to be trusted on their own. :)

· Registered
10 Posts
Mine doesn't jump up but she can jump off my dresser, off my hands it think it's because when I got mine she managed to ascape from her cage an her cage I on a shelf on jumped off the shelf so now she's not afraid

· Official Loofah Tester
1,386 Posts
Try the large Martin's playpen. A friend has one of those and it's the bomb. It gives them plenty of play area and is secure. Just put a blanket underneath it and you can use it on the bed or floor etc. It folds down and is easy to move and store.

http://www.martinscages.com/products/cages/rat/

· Official Loofah Tester
1,386 Posts
Yes they are. It took up most of a full sized bed. I wasn't impressed with the concept until I saw it in action. My first thought was exactly yours..."Isn't this just a glorified cage?"

A friend of mine had one though and my reaction was. OOOoooh! Yes! A glorified cage! It was as big as the home made play pins my rats were leaping out of, but it has a lid to keep them from jumping. The sides (and lid) were great for climbing (unlike the home made versions), and it comfortably housed 10 rats for play. It also folded down easily and slid a way for storage, so it wasn't the pain in the butt a cage was. Sure I couldn't sit inside the cage while they played while the lid was on, but I still had full visual access and could remove the lid any time I wanted.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.