Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Will It Ever Change?
7,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is in regards to my other post where I mentioned my one mouse was humping the other. :rolleyes:They are girls, new to my home, one year in their previous home. I also mentioned, (i'm saying all this because I can't find the post :D lol) that I was worried the fight was imminent due to the dominance issues they seemed to have. Well, they surely just fought. Not the "I'm annoyed you're humping me but I'll tolerate it". But total screaming and thrashing about. Now Shee-Ra is scared and cowering all bug-eyed in a corner, and when Mystique goes near, she scoots away. I see no visible injuries but Shee-Ra is hiding now, and Mystique is eating. :confused: Any ideas or temporary solutions to suggest, my mouser friends?:wave:

·
Registered
719 Posts
I'm sorry I don't have a clue. You might try putting extra hide spots, food bowls, and water bottles in there so they're not competing as much. We had rats that did that, but only while one was pregnant, so it sorta just stopped after a while. I wish you loads of luck!

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
how big is the enclosure? let them have their own nest boxes..usually this should go away..I would be worried about bites marks and visible injury

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
hmmm, tha has never happened to me with female mice... but a trick I used to keep male pairs/trios, Use an enclosure as big as possible and put lots of toys and, as luvboyrats said, extra food bowls and extra hides, so they can both have their own space. Good luck!

·
RAT ADDICT
19,199 Posts
I agree with what the others have said.
That seems to help me if I have an overly dominant mouse.

·
Fluffy Gerbilshorts
4,378 Posts
Did you just happen to give them treats? Mine do that when I give them treats and someone decides that theirs isn't good enough...lol
I only use one food bowl but I use one that is pretty big just for mice. It's just a little tupperwear dish that is like 3 inches by 4 inches, so they can all get in there and eat. You know how they love to sit on their food.
Also add another hidey house and possibly another wheel. Sometimes the wheel can cause issues as well.

I'm guessing that they're in a ten gallon? If it becomes a HUGE issue you might have to get a bigger enclosure...but I'm sure it won't come to that. As long as there is no blood then it should be okay. I've said it once and I'll say it again, some animals are just big babies...LOL (or little babies depending on how you look at it)

·
Will It Ever Change?
7,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
they love in two big ol' habitrail cages connected together. I prefer that since I know mice love to climb all over the bars. they dont fight over food or water, they fight in the cage that has neither food nor water. they have ample hidey holes and climbey places. I didnt give then treats because I still have to buy them, so they're nothing to fight over that I see. when they fought they were just standing there, then mystique went over and humped shee-ra. she ran away into a hidey place, mystique followed her and humped again, then whammo screaming and thrashing. since then they still hump but no fighting when i've been around. our place is small so i can hear the "dont hump me" cries from anywhere in here. i just don't get it

·
Will It Ever Change?
7,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
this is old, I don't have the mice anymore. They did stop, though, the bigger the setup I made for them.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts