Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a new betta from Meijer's since he was pretty cute and they had him in about 1 inch of water....:( Anyways, I got him about 3 days ago, and he refuses to eat anything. I am keeping him in a 1.5 gallon tetra water wonders tank with a filter. The very first day when I tried to feed him pellets, he took one in his mouth and spit it right out. I tried again later on that evening, and he completely ignored the food. He has also completely ignored any food I have tried to feed him so far.

At first, I tried Wardley betta food (pellet), followed by tetra freeze-dried bloodworms, and hikari biogold pellets. He ignored all of them, so I called Meijer and asked what they fed him before because I heard betta are veeerrrrry picky eaters. Turns out they were feeding him Tetra TetraMin tropical flakes, so I went out and got a small bottle of that too, and he ignored it as well. I am starting to get worried...
He swims around healthily and doesn't appear to have any diseases... When I move my finger on the side of the tank, he follows it, and he puffs up when I show him his own reflection so I really don't think its a health problem...

·
Resident Aquarium Nerd
9,930 Posts
What's the temperature of the tank and is the filter maybe too strong (and pushing him around)? Try doing a water change, too, and see if it helps.

A lot of new bettas just don't eat at first, though, so don't worry yet. It sounds like he had been really stressed out.

You could try crushing up the Hikari pellets into smaller pieces, some bettas prefer tiny food. If you get desperate, try live foods (bloodworms, blackworms, earthworms, brine shrimp, fruit flies, etc.).

Edit: You also may want to consider getting a larger aquarium. A 1.5 gallon is pretty tiny and your water parameters won't be too stable.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What's the temperature of the tank and is the filter maybe too strong (and pushing him around)? Try doing a water change, too, and see if it helps.

A lot of new bettas just don't eat at first, though, so don't worry yet. It sounds like he had been really stressed out.

You could try crushing up the Hikari pellets into smaller pieces, some bettas prefer tiny food. If you get desperate, try live foods (bloodworms, blackworms, earthworms, brine shrimp, fruit flies, etc.).

Edit: You also may want to consider getting a larger aquarium. A 1.5 gallon is pretty tiny and your water parameters won't be too stable.
I don't know what the water temp is since I don't have a thermometer, but it feels normal to my hand. I did a water change earlier, no difference... Do you know where I can find those live foods?

·
Resident Aquarium Nerd
9,930 Posts
You should definitely buy a thermometer, bettas are tropical fish and may stop eating if the water is too cold.

Any decent pet store should have at least some of the foods I mentioned :). For the most variety, try a fish and/or reptile store.

·
Registered
82 Posts
or you could just be making a big deal out of nothing...he could just be getting used to his new home. Bubbles didnt eat for 5 days after i got her so I wouldnt get too worried till its been a week

·
Betta Bomb
5,202 Posts
Oh good luck!! All the foods you have should be deadly (I mean this in a good way, slang word for awesome) to a betta, if I was a betta I'd LOOOVE it!
Sasami might be right, I would recommend getting a small heater. IT may feel alright to your hand but your not the little guy living in the water!
Keep us updated!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts