Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
2K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Janelle 
#1 ·
Hello my name is louise i have a new chin and i have some questions if anyone can help me. my chin's name is ruby do they like or can they have choc; i had a choc bar today and then i went to talk to ruby and she went crazy over my breath and the smell on my hand she wanted some choc. can they get ear mites: can they have beef jurky. well thanks if you can help me let me now.

#3 ·
hi louise, welcome and congrats on your new fur ball.. to answer your question, no, chins can not have chocolate or beef jerky - they should just be fed a good quality pellet (I use mazuri) fresh timothy hay and an occassional treat (shredded wheat or rose hip) hope this helps.

#4 ·
Welcome to Paw-Talk.

No, they cannot have any sort of people food. Chinchilla's are not meat eaters, and like to any animal a big amount of chocolate, even little amount can potentially hurt or can even be fatal to your animal, especially your chinchilla. Why would you want to give your chinchilla people food anyways? If you want to give him a treat you should try crushed (not whole) rose hips, a bite sized (non frosted) mini wheat (the cereal), or a pinch of Quaker (NONINSTANT!!) old fashioned rolled oats.

#6 ·
Never ever feed your chinchilla anything that is high in fat, including chocolate. Chinchillas do not have a gallbladder and therefore do not produce bile which breaks down fat. Chinchillas are not supposed to have a high protein diet as well. Stick to a hay and pellet diet. Chinchillas also can not vomit so they can't rid themselves of a potentially harmful food. Chinchillas beg for treats constantly, and yes its tempting to always give them one, but remember the better diet you feed them the longer they'll live! What are you feeding your chinchilla on a daily basis?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.