Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

· Mouse Obsessor
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Meet my first hamster since I was 10 years old. :)
His name was Speedy but I have renamed him Hannibal (like Hannibal Hamlin, not Hannibal Lecter).
He right now is in the cage I got him in, which is a 10 gallon, I did not want to stress him more so I will give him a bigger cage when he is settled.
I had to buy him a wheel, as he only came with a food dish, igloo, and a water bottle. I also gave him a bunch of treats and some things to chew on.
I was told before arriving there that he was a teddy bear hamster, but he obviously is not. I am not that knowledgable with hamster types. I think he is a Campbells (please correct me if I am wrong). I was also told he is 1 year old.

He is soo tame too! Right when I brought him home even he greeted me and wanted me to hold him. And I fed him out of my hand. :)

· Mouse Obsessor
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Also, he does not look it in the pictures but he has white feet and a white throat, with a white stripe down his belly. And his back has a black stripe and is a mottled black and white kind of look.

· Zoo Keeper
1,367 Posts
he is ww or rc ... possibly both. that wheel is perfect great choice :D I would get him some tunnels and puzzle playgrounds and chew things.

Dont give him treats he is diabetes prone that includes the treat stick in there. I would also test him for that just order diastix ketostix :D Very nice job its adorable. I can also help with sexing

· Mouse Obsessor
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh ok, I will remove the seed bar. :)
What kind of tubes should I get?
And are there any treats that are safe to give him?

· Zoo Keeper
1,367 Posts
I do not give Kodi any because of his being diabetes prone if he is negative now and then he can be given a treat with a little sugar. Most veggies are safe :D

Any tubes you can find are fine. with his size it doesnt matter

· Mouse Obsessor
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What about chew things? My mice always hated wood bars.
I do have these tiny toilet paper looking rolls but they are really thick with many layers, the grocery store gave them to me (they are used with those bags people put produce in). Would those work as chews?

· Mouse Obsessor
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks!
I just removed the seed bar and gave him a piece of broccoli. When I put my hand in there he looked up all excited and once he saw the broccoli he reached his little hands up and took it from me then ran away. lol

· Mouse Obsessor
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You mean the one they run around the house in? Yeah, he came with one of those. According to his last owner he likes to run in the yard in it.

· Zoo Keeper
1,367 Posts
yeah dont let him out in it more than 15 mins at a time though

Also careful they are VERY fast. if you are afraid to touch him put his ball down in front of him and see if he walks in

· Mouse Obsessor
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I know, I could never leave my mice out for long either.
I have heard they are fast. So far though he is letting me get near him. He even let my husband pick him up earlier.

· Mouse Obsessor
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Right now he is in a ball underneath his water bottle. :)
He is very tired from the move.
I am going to try to hold him tomorrow. Is there a good time of day to try?

· Mouse Obsessor
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So I just got home from buying suppiles. I got him some Hazel/Harry Hamster Food, some Aspen bedding, and a new tub to house him in. The tub is a 105 qt, length x width is 608. :)
My husband is putting some ventilation in it now, cannot wait to see him enjoy it. By the way he acts I think he has never been in anything larger than the 10 gallon he came in. He also seems to not know what to do with the wheel I gave him. And he is 1 year old. Poor little guy.

· Zoo Keeper
1,367 Posts
I'm SO glad you got him just give him time :) Kodi was like that when I got him. I'm glad I could help and that sounds like an amazing home for home :D

· Mouse Obsessor
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks! I am going to take some pictures soon of his new setup. :)

· Mouse Obsessor
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Here are some of the pictures I promised of Hannibal's new setup. :)
He is already using his wheel. I also added some more toilet paper rolls after I took the photo.
Sorry the pictures are blurry, he was too busy exploring. lol

Oh, and when I went to put my hand in there he bit me. Pretty hard too, I am bleeding. lol
Hopefully he stops doing that. :)

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.