Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 20 of 104 Posts

· Zoo Keeper
1,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I picked up my newest adoption from a rescue near me. He was brought in in a hamster cage along with his 8 daughters. He is alone because after trying several cage mates he just can't take them every one ends in horrible fights. He is a pretty big boy and seems to like his cage he is using the levels but very scared. I wish he could be kept with another rat but with his past and at his age its not safe. We are working on a name still but here are a few pictures of him.

I know his cage is a little bare but I need to get to know him before I start buying things

And for those of you who know about my rat allergy its very mild and I was coddling him earlier and absolutely no side effects

Exploring his new cage

Look how big

· Mouse Obsessor
287 Posts
Aww he is a Dumbo!
He is a very hansome rat. :)

· Rat Rescuer and Hospice
1,883 Posts
Your rat is not old, he's about a year I would say. The fighting with other males was due to hormones but he could be neutered, and that should take care of any problem. It will reduce marking (peeing on you) and buck grease (which can make allergies worse) and then he can have a friend, even a female one :)

He's a very cute beige hooded dumbo.

I can help you figure out fun toys to make cheaply to hang in his cage. :D

· Zoo Keeper
1,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Noone around here neuters that I know of. I will ask the rescue.

I have fleece at home so we can start there.

Also I got told off last night by a member or another forum for his cage I think its fine its just like a store bought cage or should I save to get him a new one? I thought it was ok or I wouldn't put him in it.

Thanks for the color :) he didn't look cream to me but I didn't know what he was.

1,883 Posts

Also I got told off last night by a member or another forum for his cage I think its fine its just like a store bought cage or should I save to get him a new one? I thought it was ok or I wouldn't put him in it.

Thanks for the color :) he didn't look cream to me but I didn't know what he was.
The cage is fine, needs more fun stuff for him, but I have seen others use mesh grids to make cages. It may end up driving you crazy for cleaning etc, but for now its roomy and he has levels.

where are you located and I'll ask around for vets that neuter.

· Mouse Obsessor
287 Posts

I do not see anything wrong with your setup. I think some people just like to argue for the sake of arguing. lol

· Registered
5 Posts
Please don't take offense to what I have to say/suggest (because I see that you say you've had issues already) but I do not think the set up is alright "long-run" wise, but with some modifications there is hope!

Generally, if a rat's head can fit through then the entire body can fit through... And it looks to me as if that's possible (but then it could just be a bad angle.) You wouldn't want him to get stuck trying to escape either -- and the cardboard worries me a little. There are no ways for his toes to get caught are there? I'd hate for something to happen to him like that! It's one of the first things I try to look at when I get a new home for my rats; my Moo's an escape artist so I have to triple check e-v-e-r-y-t-h-i-n-g.

That and some rats have bedding allergies, but that's easy to spot and take care of if something were to happen. I've had rats in the past who couldn't have any type of bedding like you have; so I had to switch... But some rats are perfectly fine with it :) If you can keep the set up clean, the fabrics and the levels, and maybe add a little more safety measures to prevent him from escaping, and some cozy places for him to snuggle/get comfortable, or things to play with/keep him entertained (like the fleece suggested! Great idea!) I think you have a great start - I'm sure he'll be very content. (Also something completely unrelated but be sure you're careful with treats too -- rats love peanut butter but they can sometimes choke! I don't know if this is your first rat, so I'm not trying to step on toes! I apologize! Just trying to help =]. But this wasn't even on topic... Sorry! I get excited. My first rat that I had when I was really young loved the small yogurt type treats you could buy at the pet store for them, then another really loved peanut butter [but you have to be careful! They can choke on this easily!])

AHH this post is so long. I'm sorry! You have a cutie =]

· Resident Aquarium Nerd
10,108 Posts
He's adorable! :heart:

Can his head fit through the openings? That would be my only concern as I've heard of rats getting stuck that way. Other than that it looks like a good set-up.

· Zoo Keeper
1,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The rescue told me of a vet that neuters :)

Also his head fits to his ears but I plan to hardware cloth over it. The ramps are safe for him :) I made sure it was cut exact so no pinched toes.

Also we are looking at ferret cages though I would LOVE a critter nation.

Tonight I am making some climbs and tunnels. He just lays around my poor baby. I think he needs the motivation of a girl in his life :D two weeks and I plan to have him neutered provided my school fee isn't higher than expected.

As for bedding I use aspen I know this cage isn't perfect but for now while I save its ok. We need to get him neutered and a friend then get him and her a new cage.

I just pray I'm being paranoid as usual I will relax when I am off my probationary period at this job. Then a. New cage will be no problem :)

· Zoo Keeper
1,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Even now I would not consider it a big deal I know he needs a new cage so I will get that :) I wish I could get my hands on a used critter nation.

1,883 Posts
Even now I would not consider it a big deal I know he needs a new cage so I will get that :) I wish I could get my hands on a used critter nation.
We all do... *dreams* and I have THREE FN's myself LOL

I didn't notice the cardboard in your ramps but you can easily make ramp covers out of fleece if you sew, or wrap it with something else, cardboard will reek very quickly and need to be changed a lot. I have used bird ladders with that plastic/rubbery cupboard liner wrapped over it to make more solid in the past.

· Zoo Keeper
1,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
That's what I used for the levels ... I was just worried he would slip so I did this. I can easily change it over.

I will look at that site :D I want the best for him I can't wait to get him neutered so he can have a friend.

1,883 Posts
See if you can get foam shapes from a dollar store, and string them together as a hanging chew toy...pick up cat jingle balls, plastic baby links, wooden chew toys for birds are always good :)

Put a cardboard box in the base level and maybe another hammock above for more incentive to use the whole cage :D

· Zoo Keeper
1,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
We have wooden shapes I can get plastic links for birds wooden chews and jingle bell balls are easy :D

I don't want him on the bottom until my new bedding is in stock.

1,883 Posts
We have wooden shapes I can get plastic links for birds wooden chews and jingle bell balls are easy :D

I don't want him on the bottom until my new bedding is in stock.
Why? That is where he will poop, you want him down there :p

· Zoo Keeper
1,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I was worried about allergies. He does go to the bathroom on the bottom sleeps at the top and eats in the middle.

I contacted the rescue to ask where I could find a used cage rescues tend to have connections.

Fleece toys I'm adding tonight other toys I'll find some more next time I'm at the pet store.

I feel so bad for him its like he has given up. He just lays there and does nothing. Think a girl would perk him up?

· Registered
2,347 Posts
He is adorable!! What a sweet face and of course, I love those beautiful dumbo ears! He is sooo cute! He looks pretty happy too!

1 - 20 of 104 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.