Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just got a new teddy bear hamster today, who is now named Amor. We got her from Petco and she seemed pretty fine while I was petting her in the store. Once I brought her home I had to clean the cage we are now using because it was my old hamster, Aubree's, cage. While I was cleaning it I had her on the floor in my bathroom in a free-run cage (one of the fences that you can buy that folds out and makes a little ring for them to run in). She actually ended up climbing out of it after about half an hour, and I lured her into the box we brought her home in and then kept her on the counter next to me while I cleaned the cage. The cage is a regular wire dome typed hamster cage. Now that she's in it she's sleeping, but sweating so much. She won't drink her water. My bedroom is a basement bedroom, so it's not warm and it's not cold, and I do have a de-humidifier running. I really don't want her to pass away, but I don't know what's wrong with her and my mom won't drive an hour to go back to Petco. She seems to be sweating or damp-furred a little on her back, on her chest, and on her forehead to nose from what I can see. One of my friends said I was supposed to get some powder thing to put on her butt or somewhere from the worker at Petco to prevent her from getting nervous, but they never gave me anything. Any help on what's wrong and what I should do would be very appreciated! :(

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My mom brought back the bedding when my rabbit died (which is one of the reasons I bought Amor) so right now it's paper towels, until I can buy a new bedding tomorrow. I'll definitely stay away from pine, thanks for the tip!
And I felt her and she's not damp, but she looks it, and didn't look that way in the store. All she's done is poop so far, she won't drink from her water bottle. Any tips on how to get her to drink without stressing her out? I'm trying to stay away from handling her too much.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.