Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
RAT ADDICT
19,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got two African clawed frogs today.Both are females.I been wanting another one for some time now and been looking.Today I went in and they had the regular ones on sale for $7.99 and the albinos were $14.99.I had albinos before,so I decided to get the regular ones.They are both female and one is really fat,so she may have eggs.

Pics coming soon!

·
Will It Ever Change?
7,346 Posts
neato! i LOVE frogs, totally my fave creature next to deer lol. i totally can't wiat for pics!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
RAT ADDICT
19,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I tried getting pics,but they are hard to photograph and kept hiding in the fake grass.I will try again later.
They are really cute!!

·
RAT ADDICT
19,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Congrats! Do they have names yet??

For some reason I never see the normal colored ones in stores here anymore - only the albinos. But I don't look that often either.
Nope,no names yet.I can't decide on names.I had male names chosen,but when I sexed them,well they are girlies!!
:lol:

Yeah,thats all I see are the albinos.ONCE (before today) did I see the normal colored ones in the stores.Thats why I decided to go for the normal ones today.

·
Registered
5,126 Posts
OOOoOOOOoooo!! cant wait to see them!!

·
is a little "special"
4,131 Posts
Awesome! Cant wait for pics!

·
Resident Aquarium Nerd
9,930 Posts
Congrats! I can't wait to see some pictures :).

·
RAT ADDICT
19,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
These are the best I could get.Unfortunatly my camera do not take good pics of aquatics.

Also I am changing that gravel to sand,so don't worry.
I already know what these frogs are like when it comes to eating and lost one of my old ones to swallowing a rock.So you do not need to tell me otherwise! :)

They are both really fat.I am wondering if they have eggs in those bellies? Or are females generally really fat??

·
Resident Aquarium Nerd
9,930 Posts
Aww :heart:. There is a chance she's just fat depending on what the petstore was feeding and how often :). I don't know if this applies to ACFs but with ADFs the females tend to be better at finding food for some reason.

·
RAT ADDICT
19,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks.

Well whether they are fat or have eggs,it doesn't matter.Their diet will be better here then at the pet store and if they have eggs,I am not really going to put an effort into raising them,just because here in Newfoundland it is hard to find GOOD homes for ANYTHING.And if they layed eggs and they hatched,then I would have to go out and get a ton more tanks! :talk:

·
Premium Member
4,212 Posts
I don't think you have to worry about them hatching - I'm pretty sure the male fertilizes the eggs as the female is laying them, I don't think they use internal fertilization. So if they do lay eggs, they'll probably all be infertile since you have no male in the tank.

·
Guarded by Waffles
2,921 Posts
I am pretty sure Michelle is right. One time I was watching the Discovery Channel and the male fertilizes the eggs as they are laid.

Congrats on your newest additions!

·
is a little "special"
4,131 Posts
Cute!! Just wondering, if you change to sand will it mess up the water quality? I wan to change to sand this weekend cuz Squishy has been putting rocks in his mouth, but he hasnt swallowed them. Its better to be on the safe side! Im just worried about my water quality...

·
私は靖巣あな&#
2,904 Posts
Adorable!!

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
:frog: :frog: Vanilla Rat, Those are adorable!!! They look just like the ones that I got for my son last week - really fat!!! And huge! How do you know if they are male or female did you say? I wouldn't mind them having babies! Maybe they need to hang around the water cooler at Paw Talk! Hee Hee!!!! Just kiddn'

·
RAT ADDICT
19,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I don't think you have to worry about them hatching - I'm pretty sure the male fertilizes the eggs as the female is laying them, I don't think they use internal fertilization. So if they do lay eggs, they'll probably all be infertile since you have no male in the tank.
OMG! Your right! I am such a dumb,dumb! I knew that,but because I have so much on my plate right now,wasn't thinking when I posted that.I should of known better! :rolleyes:

Cute!! Just wondering, if you change to sand will it mess up the water quality? I wan to change to sand this weekend cuz Squishy has been putting rocks in his mouth, but he hasnt swallowed them. Its better to be on the safe side! Im just worried about my water quality...
Ummm...it might.I don't know,because I never actually just switched over substrate like that.Now I will have to look into that as well.I been watching them and fortunatly nobody has been putting rocks in their mouths yet.Thats what happened to one of my old frogs...:( Hope Mr.Squishy doesn't choke!!

:frog: :frog: Vanilla Rat, Those are adorable!!! They look just like the ones that I got for my son last week - really fat!!! And huge! How do you know if they are male or female did you say? I wouldn't mind them having babies! Maybe they need to hang around the water cooler at Paw Talk! Hee Hee!!!! Just kiddn'
Females have little tail like things between their legs.Males also usually have black marks under their arms.

·
Registered
225 Posts
They are wayy cute! I now you have gotten me thinking about getting some lol dats bad I do not need more pets or more tanks to house them in. But I am curious...so they are African Clawed Frogs? what size tank are you using for the two of them would something like a 5g work or bigger you think? lol ok I am going to try and see if I can find a care guide on em....but very very cute girls. I hope I can pick some up myself now.
lol ok back I just found a care sheet on them as much as I would love to get some I think I will wait I am thinking of getting some Dwarf Clawed Frog instead. Since they seem to be a bit more easy to take care of and if I got a pair I would not have to have such a huge houseing space for them (maybe 2 or 3 gallons if I got two at the most) hopefully if I get some info on them online as well as asking online (mostly here) I can get better prepared.

·
Resident Aquarium Nerd
9,930 Posts
They are wayy cute! I now you have gotten me thinking about getting some lol dats bad I do not need more pets or more tanks to house them in. But I am curious...so they are African Clawed Frogs? what size tank are you using for the two of them would something like a 5g work or bigger you think? lol ok I am going to try and see if I can find a care guide on em....but very very cute girls. I hope I can pick some up myself now.
lol ok back I just found a care sheet on them as much as I would love to get some I think I will wait I am thinking of getting some Dwarf Clawed Frog instead. Since they seem to be a bit more easy to take care of and if I got a pair I would not have to have such a huge houseing space for them (maybe 2 or 3 gallons if I got two at the most) hopefully if I get some info on them online as well as asking online (mostly here) I can get better prepared.
You could easily house three or four ADFs in a 5-gallon as long as the tank was well maintained. A 3-gallon would fit two and you'll probably want to go for that set-up since they seem to do best when not housed alone.

Do you know how to tell them apart from young ACFs? Since petstores don't always know :lol:. I usually look at the front feet...dwarf frogs have webbing but clawed frogs don't.

One thing to keep in mind is that you shouldn't just feed them pellets (if they even eat them). You'll want to also feed frozen/live foods.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts