Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last night they were all fine. All were playing on there wheel. Well.... Just a few mins ago I went to feed and change there water like always And...... All but 3 of the babies were laying there. 2 mamas and 10 babies. 1 head looked as if it was eaten off. 1 belly looked black. Idk. I'm horrified!!!!! Took the 3 babies out and put in different container. What happen!?

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
it could be that they were sick, and one of them killed them, because of this. or it could of been a domance thing where they all girls ?

·
Official Loofah Tester
1,365 Posts
Could you give us some more information?

Two mamas and 10 babies....

Are you saying that the mothers are still alive, and all but three of the babies are dead?

If that's the case, the mothers may have killed their babies. This can happen for a few reasons. The mothers may have been stressed (too much handling, or too much noise and interaction around the cage, or perhaps issues with the other adult female) or inexperienced (mothers who breed too young are more apt to kill their litter just because they don't know what they're doing), or perhaps didn't have the resources/nutrition to feed their babies (if the litter is too big for the milk supply, or if she's not getting enough protein and such, she will kill the litter to 'save' herself.)

It's not terribly uncommon for a mother to self cull a litter for any of these reasons. If one was decapitated, it would likely be because the mother is trying to clean up the nest keep the decomposing body of the dead baby from attracting predators. Or she may have been eating the body to get more protein to support her surviving babies.

If the babies belonged to just one mother, it's possible that the other adult female "auntie" may have been hoarding the babies and things got out of hand, though usually mice are pretty good communal mothers.

It's sad and disturbing, but completely natural.

·
Official Loofah Tester
1,365 Posts
The fact that one was decapitated is the weird thing. If not, I'd have guessed some kind of toxin. It still could be a toxin, but clearly the mothers tried to clean up the bodies before they died.

I can guess several other possibilities too, but this is very strange. Check around on mice expert specific forums too. This forum isn't very well trafficked and I don't know that we have anyone who is a mouse expert or not.

·
Rat Rescuer and Hospice
1,883 Posts
Toxin or virus is my guess. Poor bubbers. Are you handraising the 3 survivors now? Did you bring in any new mice or go to a pet store recently?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts