Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi to any who read and respond to this. I live in Tampa Bay Florida. We had a rat problem in the attic. My father bought poision to get rid of them. (which I dont agree with) Well the adult rats died so the baby rats started comming down for food and water. Me and my girlfriend caught 2 at first. The first one was dying from poision. I did everything I could to help her, but she died. The second one seemed great. Full of energy. Well last weekeknd at 1pm she was fine. When we checked on her at 5 she was dead. 3 days ago I caught a 3rd baby rat in the kitchen. She seemed so full of life when I caught her. I had a huge plastic bin I used as a cage. I put water in it. I tried to feed her grapes and cheese but she would not eat that.. so I heated up some milk with a little sugar in it and she loved it. For 2 days she drank the milk. I made sure not to over feed her. Then last night she stopped eating. An at 8:17 this morning she died in my hands. She was breathing really hard and then like flipped over and stopped breathing. I was so and am still very upset. Why would she die like that? She was pooping and peeing ok. When I first caught her she was very scared. I tried to keep her stress at a minimum. Last night she was doing so well. She would let me pick her up.. she really liked being pet under her ear. She would eve close her eye as I pet her ear. I named her Zoe. I feel so responsible that she died. Can anyone tell me why she would die so suddenly like that? It so funny how I got so attached to that little rat in just a few days. But I can honestly say I loved the little girl.

Zoe.jpg

Attachments

·
Rat Rescuer and Hospice
1,883 Posts
Hi to any who read and respond to this. I live in Tampa Bay Florida. We had a rat problem in the attic. My father bought poision to get rid of them. (which I dont agree with) Well the adult rats died so the baby rats started comming down for food and water. Me and my girlfriend caught 2 at first. The first one was dying from poision. I did everything I could to help her, but she died. The second one seemed great. Full of energy. Well last weekeknd at 1pm she was fine. When we checked on her at 5 she was dead. 3 days ago I caught a 3rd baby rat in the kitchen. She seemed so full of life when I caught her. I had a huge plastic bin I used as a cage. I put water in it. I tried to feed her grapes and cheese but she would not eat that.. so I heated up some milk with a little sugar in it and she loved it. For 2 days she drank the milk. I made sure not to over feed her. Then last night she stopped eating. An at 8:17 this morning she died in my hands. She was breathing really hard and then like flipped over and stopped breathing. I was so and am still very upset. Why would she die like that? She was pooping and peeing ok. When I first caught her she was very scared. I tried to keep her stress at a minimum. Last night she was doing so well. She would let me pick her up.. she really liked being pet under her ear. She would eve close her eye as I pet her ear. I named her Zoe. I feel so responsible that she died. Can anyone tell me why she would die so suddenly like that? It so funny how I got so attached to that little rat in just a few days. But I can honestly say I loved the little girl.

View attachment 20565
the poison could have been ingested by the mom rat and she gave it to her wee ones in her milk. It can take awhile to actually kill them :( The baby also may have died from all sorts of things...raising any baby rats while they are nursing still is very very difficult and most die. I am sorry for your loss.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Even though it was like 10 days ago that the adult rats were found dead? When I caught the last on 3 nights ago she was so full of life and energy... And seemed fine until last night. Do you think the 1% mile and sugar hurt her? I dunno... I just loved and miss the little girl. Did you see the her picture? What kind of Rat/Mouse id that does anyone know?

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
So sorry to hear about her. :( She was actually a mouse, and looks like a full-grown one. Mice and rats are really great pets, but it can be incredibly hard to keep wild ones. I agree with lilspaz--she probably ingested some of the poison, and passed away once it finally worked its way through her system. So sorry that this had to happen. :(

When you're ready, perhaps you might want to look into getting some domesticated ones to keep as pets? If so, we can all help you with the info you'd need to get started.

·
she-mayor of Whoville
289 Posts
I'm really sorry to hear that, I'm also very happy to hear that you tried to save them and give them a good life. So, beyond your sadness, you can know you did a very good thing.

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
Hi again Jimmie,
I just left a post for you and I had not yet seen your explanation of what happened to your little mouse. So, nevermind my question of why she died, sorry. Like the others said, I am so sorry about you losing your sweet girl, and you DID try to save her and take good care of her. You did as much as you could to help her and the love and effort on your part is admirable. I could tell how empathetic you were for her. I truly feel for you and I am so sorry for Zoe. That is a beautiful name for her. Like Breyer said, perhaps you can adopt a domesticated pair of girl mice. Sounds like you would be a loving adopted parent.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts