Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner

21 - 40 of 62 Posts

·
Rep Lover
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Wow, a leucistic for $70?! Thats a bargin, LOL!
IMO its better if people raise their own live food, sine that way you know how it was treated and where it came from.
Do you breed the hissers for your beardies? I was thinking about breeding some for my little guy, since he has become pretty picky about his food. Ive always wanted some as pets anyway, LOL. And I would really like a leo gecko in the near future, so it would be nice if I could just breed my own food for them...
I know Dubia roaches are pretty popular too, but the wings creep me out.
Anyway, Im glad you know your stuff when it comes to reptiles. There are SO many stupid people out there that dont know anything, and the animals suffer... Like your poor little citrus baby! Hes super cute, BTW. I could look at beardies all day LOL. Im on vacation right now, and I miss my little guy!

yep sure do i breed my hissers for my dragons and i use the baby hissers for the geckos some times. Also ya my leucistic was only 70 at the rep show. He was trying to sale them all that day. They were 200 but he had to put the price way down to get them all sold. I got him from Georgia Bearded Dragons. They were at the show.

Here is a few photos of my hissers

·
is a little "special"
4,131 Posts
Nice!
So, I know they have harder shells then some of the other roaches... Do your dragons still do OK with them? What size do you feed them? Do they breed fast enough for you?
Sorry for hijacking your thread LOL!

·
Rep Lover
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
lol its fine we are still on topic :) i mean we are talking about feeding my reps lol.

Ok well i feed mid size ones to my dragons. If i get to many roaches i let some grow up to adults than sale them. I sold 5 pairs the other week. Now i got a ok number lol. If get to many again i let them grow and sale some of the adults again. I guess its how i make money back on them lol.

·
Rep Lover
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 · (Edited)
no, i breed and sale my zebra finches. I got a white male and a gray female and they breed very good. They make nice babies.

I let them have a few clutches than i close the box and let them rest than i reopen it and let them do it again and they do good. I always give them a rest so they dont over breed.

also yes them roaches breed good and fast. I started with one pair 2 years ago. Now i got lots. Just keep the tank temp around 80F-82F and they should do there job.

·
RAT ADDICT
19,199 Posts
I always wanted pet roaches...but after dealing with stinky crickets,I am not sure I want roaches.I assume they smell too? At least in large numbers?

·
RAT ADDICT
19,199 Posts
You can't have roaches in Canada. Although people still have them....
It is not enforced,same with giant millipedes.Your not supposed to have them here,but people do and I did.And I will have another when/if I find one.

There is a place here in Newfoundland with roaches,millipedes,centipedes,scorpions...etc,etc,etc.The name escapes me now...gaaahhh,thats going to drive me nuts.

Found it! It is called: Newfoundland Insectarium.
Was driving me nuts and so I looked it up!

·
Hello Earthling
4,729 Posts
It is not enforced,same with giant millipedes.Your not supposed to have them here,but people do and I did.And I will have another when/if I find one.

There is a place here in Newfoundland with roaches,millipedes,centipedes,scorpions...etc,etc,etc.The name escapes me now...gaaahhh,thats going to drive me nuts.

Found it! It is called: Newfoundland Insectarium.
Was driving me nuts and so I looked it up!

True, as many people still have them. Its probably easy to obtain,breed,sell and keep them in smaller areas then it is in cities. Aswell I don't think the officals really do anything other than confiscate the animals (or bugs).

Oopss.... looks like we hijacked the thread :) sorry, but it give me the chance to use thing smilie :hijacked:

·
Rep Lover
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
True, as many people still have them. Its probably easy to obtain,breed,sell and keep them in smaller areas then it is in cities. Aswell I don't think the officals really do anything other than confiscate the animals (or bugs).

Oopss.... looks like we hijacked the thread :) sorry, but it give me the chance to use thing smilie :hijacked:

lol its fine really i do not mind lol

I always wanted pet roaches...but after dealing with stinky crickets,I am not sure I want roaches.I assume they smell too? At least in large numbers?
any way they dont really smell unless you never clean there tank out. I clean mine maybe 2 times a month and thats it. I use ecko earth as the bedding. I know what you mean by crickets smelling soooo bad they do. And thats why i stopped trying to breed them :\ ... My roaches dont really smell and the tank is right in my bed room.

·
Registered
24 Posts
how do you pre kill this animals.. that would be so difficult for me :( at my pet store the feeder mice are already frozen.. if i had to kill them, i would quit my job.

·
RAT ADDICT
19,199 Posts
any way they dont really smell unless you never clean there tank out. I clean mine maybe 2 times a month and thats it. I use ecko earth as the bedding. I know what you mean by crickets smelling soooo bad they do. And thats why i stopped trying to breed them :\ ... My roaches dont really smell and the tank is right in my bed room.
Oh thats good to know.IF I ever got the opportunity to have them.
Crickets smell really bad and I guess I just assumed roaches would too.I have seen hissing roaches up close,and I never smelled anything...yet in my mind I still imagined they stunk.

·
Rep Lover
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
how do you pre kill this animals.. that would be so difficult for me :( at my pet store the feeder mice are already frozen.. if i had to kill them, i would quit my job.

Its hard on me to yes but i really dont mean to sound like a bad person here but i just take the mice and wack them on something hard like a brick. I try to do it hard as i can i of corse wrap the mouse in a cloth so i dont see him.

Other way is to hold the mouse on the head and back end, and pull. It brakes the spine. I know this sounds really bad. Most of the time i try to do alot of mice at one time and just freeze most of them for latter so i dont got to do it so offten. I do the chicks kind of the same way. I try to do it fast so they dont feel nothing. I hope they dont feel any thing....

Some people i know told me they put the mice right in the freezer and i was like heh i can't do that to a live mouse....

Oh thats good to know.IF I ever got the opportunity to have them.
Crickets smell really bad and I guess I just assumed roaches would too.I have seen hissing roaches up close,and I never smelled anything...yet in my mind I still imagined they stunk.
yep they dont stink just as long as you keep it clean :). I think thats why i love them cause of that. I love them alot. They dont even bite you :D Unlike crickets that some times bite.

·
is a little "special"
4,131 Posts
Thanks for the info on roaches! I was thinking of just getting 3 or 4 breeding adults from a reptile store to make sure Wink liked them before I bought more... Do you ship your roaches? I might be interested in buying a few if you do!
Yeah, crickets are nasty little things... I refuse to keep them any more! Wink is sick of them anyway, LOL.

And Ive heard that breaking their necks is the most humane way to kill them. If/when I get a snake, I will have to buy pre-killed though. I couldnt do that!

·
Hello Earthling
4,729 Posts
There is debate over what the most humane way to kill a feeder rodents.

C2O seems to be the preferred method for mass euthanasia (whole litters etc...) while a good whack on a hard surface or severing the spinal cord is preferred for a few mice. Of course C2O is almost fool proof while a whack or severing the spinal cord must be done correctly and quickly to minimise distress to the animal.

·
Rep Lover
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Thanks for the info on roaches! I was thinking of just getting 3 or 4 breeding adults from a reptile store to make sure Wink liked them before I bought more... Do you ship your roaches? I might be interested in buying a few if you do!
Yeah, crickets are nasty little things... I refuse to keep them any more! Wink is sick of them anyway, LOL.

And Ive heard that breaking their necks is the most humane way to kill them. If/when I get a snake, I will have to buy pre-killed though. I couldnt do that!

Ya i can ship them just as long as the weather is good out there. For roaches i can ship in the spring time and fall. Summer and Winter seem to be to hard on them in the box. If you want i can see how much shipping would be to you and let you know. Just PM me a zipcode.

C2O seems to be the preferred method for mass euthanasia (whole litters etc...) while a good whack on a hard surface or severing the spinal cord is preferred for a few mice. Of course C2O is almost fool proof while a whack or severing the spinal cord must be done correctly and quickly to minimise distress to the animal.
Ya i heard of C20, but if the mice breath that in would that hurt the snake if he ate that mouse? Not sure mmm if not i will start doing that lol.

·
Hello Earthling
4,729 Posts
Ya i can ship them just as long as the weather is good out there. For roaches i can ship in the spring time and fall. Summer and Winter seem to be to hard on them in the box. If you want i can see how much shipping would be to you and let you know. Just PM me a zipcode.

Ya i heard of C20, but if the mice breath that in would that hurt the snake if he ate that mouse? Not sure mmm if not i will start doing that lol.
C2O wouldn't hurt the snake since it dissapates in the air. Thousands of snakes are fed mice or rats which are killed by C2O and non have been affected by it.

·
RAT ADDICT
19,199 Posts
I have never been bitten by a cricket and only learned they could bite not too long ago.Since I never been bitten,I never knew they did.I know superworms bite though...I was never bitten,but my ex was.When I had my geckos my ex would sometimes feed them and he would pick up the superworms and they would bite him and even latch on to him.

I really want a snake in the future.I have been looking for one,but still have not found one (I don't want to buy a snake from a store).When I do I will be breeding my own feeders,because pre-killed feeders here are really expensive in the stores.Since I am a rat/mouse owner,I will want the best for my feeders too and will want them to be killed the most humane way possible.I have researched it and read debates on reptile forums and to me it seems the CO2 method is the best.Because whacking them,if not done right...you will have a mouse or rat in extreme pain and suffering and I could not deal with that!

·
is a little "special"
4,131 Posts
Thanks Dragunz! Ill let you know if I can buy some... Im still trying to convince my mom to let me breed them LOL.

Ive heard that the mice/rats completely freak out when they are put in the CO2thing though. I guess I wouldnt know any of this for sure, since I dont have any snakes, but its just what Ive heard.
Is is possible to put them under an anethetic before you kill them? Ive always thought that would be the kindest way to kill them- put them under, and then kill & freeze them or just feed it to the snake like that.
Frozen mice & rats are pretty cheap here. There are a few specialty reptile stores by my house, and the live food I buy for Wink is always very healthy.

·
Hello Earthling
4,729 Posts
Thanks Dragunz! Ill let you know if I can buy some... Im still trying to convince my mom to let me breed them LOL.

Ive heard that the mice/rats completely freak out when they are put in the CO2thing though. I guess I wouldnt know any of this for sure, since I dont have any snakes, but its just what Ive heard.
Is is possible to put them under an anethetic before you kill them? Ive always thought that would be the kindest way to kill them- put them under, and then kill & freeze them or just feed it to the snake like that.
Frozen mice & rats are pretty cheap here. There are a few specialty reptile stores by my house, and the live food I buy for Wink is always very healthy.

I would assume that there is indeed some struggle once the C2O hits them but they die within seconds. They would also struggle to escape from the C2O chamber.

If done properly there shouldn't be to much struggle. As for putting them under before there wouldn't be much use as they already die pretty quickly with just the C2O and injecting them or gassing them with anesthetic would just prolong their death. As well as it taking to much time and money... which feeder breeders don't really want.

21 - 40 of 62 Posts