Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner

41 - 60 of 62 Posts

·
Hello Earthling
4,729 Posts
I have never been bitten by a cricket and only learned they could bite not too long ago.Since I never been bitten,I never knew they did.I know superworms bite though...I was never bitten,but my ex was.When I had my geckos my ex would sometimes feed them and he would pick up the superworms and they would bite him and even latch on to him.

I really want a snake in the future.I have been looking for one,but still have not found one (I don't want to buy a snake from a store).When I do I will be breeding my own feeders,because pre-killed feeders here are really expensive in the stores.Since I am a rat/mouse owner,I will want the best for my feeders too and will want them to be killed the most humane way possible.I have researched it and read debates on reptile forums and to me it seems the CO2 method is the best.Because whacking them,if not done right...you will have a mouse or rat in extreme pain and suffering and I could not deal with that!

Are you planning on selling the extras? I would imagine you would have lots of extra feeders.

Once I get my snake collection growing and I move out I do think I will breed my own feeders but I may have to have someone come an kill them for me as I would be afraid to do it wrong even though C2O is almost fool proof.

·
is a little "special"
4,131 Posts
I wouldnt have the heart to kill them- I get attached to everything LOL. :rolleyes: Except for crickets and superworms... They deserve to die. :p
Forgot to ask... How much are you selling your hissers for?

·
RAT ADDICT
19,199 Posts
Jess - I saw a video of rabbits being killed by CO2 and they did struggle but only for a second and then they were gone.That is more humane then bashing their heads in,in case they don't die right away...which I have heard horror stories!

Are you planning on selling the extras? I would imagine you would have lots of extra feeders.

Once I get my snake collection growing and I move out I do think I will breed my own feeders but I may have to have someone come an kill them for me as I would be afraid to do it wrong even though C2O is almost fool proof.
Actually I have friends with reptiles who told me if I ever start breeding feeders,they would buy some off me.So I will only supply my friends probably.I also won't mass produce though,since I only want one or two snakes.

I would actually prefer that...I asked a friend if she could kill them for me,since she was used to doing it and she was fine with it.But she moved away.So unless I can get one of my other snake/reptile owning friends to do it,I will probably have to do it myself.

But I really much prefer to breed my own feeders,because the breeders would be treated and loved just as my own pets and that way I would know they were healthy.I don't trust pet stores.Also pet stores are expensive! A pinky MOUSE is $2.99! That is ridiculous!

·
Hello Earthling
4,729 Posts
Jess - I saw a video of rabbits being killed by CO2 and they did struggle but only for a second and then they were gone.That is more humane then bashing their heads in,in case they don't die right away...which I have heard horror stories!

Actually I have friends with reptiles who told me if I ever start breeding feeders,they would buy some off me.So I will only supply my friends probably.I also won't mass produce though,since I only want one or two snakes.

I would actually prefer that...I asked a friend if she could kill them for me,since she was used to doing it and she was fine with it.But she moved away.So unless I can get one of my other snake/reptile owning friends to do it,I will probably have to do it myself.

But I really much prefer to breed my own feeders,because the breeders would be treated and loved just as my own pets and that way I would know they were healthy.I don't trust pet stores.Also pet stores are expensive! A pinky MOUSE is $2.99! That is ridiculous!

:holysheep: That is almost as much as a medium rat here...

·
RAT ADDICT
19,199 Posts
Yeah,exactly...:(
When I had my female leo,after she would lay eggs she lost weight and the breeder told me a pinky mouse was okay sometimes to help her get her protein/nutrients back and gain weight and pinkies were $2.99! Thats ridiculous.I am not exactly sure the prices on their other feeders,but I am sure it too high.So thats one of the reasons I want to breed my own feeders.

·
Hello Earthling
4,729 Posts
Yeah,exactly...:(
When I had my female leo,after she would lay eggs she lost weight and the breeder told me a pinky mouse was okay sometimes to help her get her protein/nutrients back and gain weight and pinkies were $2.99! Thats ridiculous.I am not exactly sure the prices on their other feeders,but I am sure it too high.So thats one of the reasons I want to breed my own feeders.

Yeah you should definatly breed your own... $2.99 for a pinky?!?!?!?!?!?! I pay .60-.75

·
RAT ADDICT
19,199 Posts
Yeah you should definatly breed your own... $2.99 for a pinky?!?!?!?!?!?! I pay .60-.75
WOW...huge difference! :(

I know Canadian Feeders had really cheap feeders,but I heard they changed owners and my friend was ordering from them and was less then impressed with the quality and service.She told me not to order from them again.I used to order my bugs from there.

·
Rep Lover
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·

WOW 2.99 a pinky.... here there only .99 ea and mice are 1.92ea and small rats are 4.27ea and it just goes up.

I would start doing the C02 mmmm But still is is safe to feed a rep the C02 killed mouse? Just want to know cause i mean the mouse breaths in that C02.

I feed my leo's pinky mice once a month.

·
Hello Earthling
4,729 Posts
WOW 2.99 a pinky.... here there only .99 ea and mice are 1.92ea and small rats are 4.27ea and it just goes up.

I would start doing the C02 mmmm But still is is safe to feed a rep the C02 killed mouse? Just want to know cause i mean the mouse breaths in that C02.

I feed my leo's pinky mice once a month.

Yes it is safe to feed a feeder killed with C2O to your reptile. The C2O does not gather and remain in the tissues of the animal. Millions of reptiles are fed C2O killed feeder with no problem.

·
Rep Lover
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
Yes it is safe to feed a feeder killed with C2O to your reptile. The C2O does not gather and remain in the tissues of the animal. Millions of reptiles are fed C2O killed feeder with no problem.

SWEET. now i got to see how would i do it lol. I dont think i can go out and buy one of them gas chamber things for cheep any where lol.

·
RAT ADDICT
19,199 Posts
SWEET. now i got to see how would i do it lol. I dont think i can go out and buy one of them gas chamber things for cheep any where lol.
You can make them apparently.I will see if I can find the link I was reading about it.

·
Hello Earthling
4,729 Posts

Storage container (anysize you prefer) with a few holes so that the air may be displaced by the CO2 without the box exploding. Them either take a critter keeper or something of the like with holes, put the dry ice in (careful) and let the chamber fill up a bit. Another way is to have the dry ice in another container and connected to the chamber by a tube.

·
is a little "special"
4,131 Posts
I dont think you answered my question on how much you charge for your hissers. :) Just wondering. The reptile store here sells them for $3-$4 a piece.

Where would you get the dry ice to do something liek that? I dont think Ive seen it being sold anywhere before.

·
Hello Earthling
4,729 Posts
I dont think you answered my question on how much you charge for your hissers. :) Just wondering. The reptile store here sells them for $3-$4 a piece.

Where would you get the dry ice to do something liek that? I dont think Ive seen it being sold anywhere before.

Apparently Walmart, party and grocery stores sell it. You can also buy cans of CO2 at places that sell paintball stuff, and online.

·
is a little "special"
4,131 Posts
Seriously? Walmart?! LMAO! Now excuse me while I add dry ice to my grocery list... :p

·
Rep Lover
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·

OH opes i did not see your question lol sorry

I sale a pair for only $5 as in a male and female or two males or two females. Any pair lol.

One of the pet shops near my city sales them for $25ea heh

Apparently Walmart, party and grocery stores sell it. You can also buy cans of CO2 at places that sell paintball stuff, and online.
GOOD paintball stuff lol cause my boy friend used to play that and he got lots of friends that play that so that works GOOd for me :D

·
is a little "special"
4,131 Posts
Thanks! Thats a good price!
Wow, $25 each? Oh my, LOL.

·
Rep Lover
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
Thanks! Thats a good price!
Wow, $25 each? Oh my, LOL.

well i get so many any way lol

so just let me know if you ever want any. I can even toss a few babies in for free, if i have any at the time lol.

I got to do a roach count soon any way so when i do that i'll count yup how many i can sale. I make sure i have enough adults left after i do a sale lol.

___________________________________________________________________________________--

also my female Dragon Chaos Laid 11 eggs on the 29th!!!! only 10 looked good.

·
is a little "special"
4,131 Posts
Aww, congrats on your eggs! What morphs are you expecting the babies to be?

41 - 60 of 62 Posts