Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's only just started tonight, and I know I'm probably getting worried for nothing, but I just thought I'd ask if anyone else has been having the same problem.

My cat Dinah is 14, and we've just noticed her trying to pee on the top of her litter box. We have a closed lid litterbox and we have done for a while; she's never shown any problems with using it before.

I cleaned the box out last night so it shouldn't be because it smells.

When I moved her off the lid, she went into the corner of the room and tried to do it there and I had to move her a couple of times because she just kept trying to go. Mum took the lid off the litter tray, and she went in it and we thought it was fine. We left the lid off, but I noticed she went back to it a couple of times in the space of 2 mins. She then tried to 'go' on the carpet again, so mum let her outside. She came back in and just carried on doing it.

Is there any explanation for this and/or is there anything we can do it help her. She lied on the floor for a bit and as I was stroking her she looked very down and unwell.

I know it's probably nothing, but I worry about her; I've had her since she was a kitten.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Sounds like it could be a Urinary Infection. Cats often associate the litter box with the source of the pain when they have a urinary infection, and start trying to go other places hoping that it won't hurt when they go there. If she's trying to go on top of the litter box, it sounds like she knows where she's supposed to go, but the thought of doing it in the litter box is where she's associating the pain coming from. If she's making frequent trips, it all the more sounds like an infection, because she feels she can't squeeze everything out the first time.

Two out of three of our cats have had a urinary infection - and though they never outright howled in pain when they went, I'd watch them in the litter box, and they'd go through all the steps; scratching at the litter, "going", and scratching at it again and leaving. But when I looked in, there were a few drops of pink-tinged urine. But no matter what she needs to be evaluated and treated, and put on a diet of canned food(for the moisture content, and also because it's easier to hide the pill in canned food).

Honestly, if she tries to do it someplace else - I'd say just let her. It can be a helluva lot easier, especially depending on the litter in the litter box, to see what she's expelling, and its color, if it's on the floor, since certain types of litter can mask the color of urine. She knows where she's supposed to go, she's probably just associating it with pain right now.

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
i agree it sounds like a urinary infection, my moms cat hex was doing that for awhile .

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Alright, I haven't seen any colour change in it, and it is only a couple of drops each time. I moved her to start with because she was trying to pee on things like my bag. I'll keep an eye out, and if I see a colour difference, will it be wise to take her to the vets, or just see if it goes on it's own?

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Oh, it doesn't HAVE to be pink-tinged to be an infection - no matter what if she's only passing a few drops it's still most likely an infection. It might be normal urine color at first, and turn pink the longer it goes on because the infection is causing irritation. Either way, it does sound like a urinary infection.

I'd let my cats piddle on the carpet so I could evaluate the progress, and they always went straight back to using the litter box, 100%, after they felt better from their medications.

Edit: Oh, yeah, forgot. Definitely take her to the vet!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
She is going in the litter tray, it's just every minute or so. We're gonna have to shut her out of the bedrooms because of it, but it also means we have to keep her with our other cat to, and they don't really get on. I'll see how she is tomorrow, and if it's still the same I'll make an appointment at the vets for her.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Yup take her to the Vets!! It's like humans when they get a bladder infection usually won't go away on its own and very sore make the appointment and in the mean time if you can get a sample of it bring it with you. I used a saringe to get some from mine she went on the bare floor so was easy. if you can.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Our vets are open until 7, so we can take her to the vets after work tomorrow. If it's still the rate she's going now, then she'll prob pee on their desk anyway.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I had to put our other one down last year as she was peeing all over, nothing like this one that you have... so don't get spooked.
But I got a sample and she had an infection, got meds it cleared up but she coninued to pee so since I had to was wondering if I got the right cat, so vet gave me a defuser to plug into the wall I guess it is for stressed cats we did that he said within a few weeks that should help month went by was still finding pee but i mean peeee no little piddles i mean puddles, getting frusterated by this point was able to get a sample and bring it to vets and he said there was a few crystals but not enough to be medicated. So question was Who was peeing... well I got a wilderness camera off a friend so that I could capture the culpret. Well low and behold I had the right cat from the start, so he tried yet another dose of meds for an infection just to rule it right out it still continued he gave me a prescription for anti deppresion pills and said if it worked she would have to be on them for the rest of her life. K no problem. Well till I gave her half one I refussed to have to do this to her for the rest of her days, she was foaming at her mouth and wabbeling around freaking out about it and she was to have them 2 times a day. by the time she settled down from the foaming she was so body stoned she wouldn't move. Sorry but I could NOT put her through that for the rest of her life.
Sorry didn't mean for the big long post, but give them time they will come to love eachother ours did Moonshine was 8yrs when my fience and I got together and his Foxy Lady was 2yrs they had a love hate but sure it was more love as Monshine has takin to Foxy's meowing since she has been gone. And does this running busrt then spins around waiting for her to come chase.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Update:

We took Dinah to the vets and she was given an injection and we got some antibiotics to give her. She's been on them for about 4 days now and she seems much better, thanks to everyone for your help :]

Oh, and also, when we took her there the vet was saying that if she walked in to the place as a stray, due to her condition they would have aged her between 4-5 years. Not too bad for a 14 year old kitty :D We must be doing something right in looking after her :p

·
It's all for them
603 Posts
I'm glad she's doing better. I recommend you get some blood work done, a senior panel plus thyroid. Often a UTI starting in a senior cat who has never had trouble before is an indication of kidney failure starting.

CRF caught early enough can be managed for quite a long time.

She is going in the litter tray, it's just every minute or so. We're gonna have to shut her out of the bedrooms because of it, but it also means we have to keep her with our other cat to, and they don't really get on. I'll see how she is tomorrow, and if it's still the same I'll make an appointment at the vets for her.
For future reference this is the classic sign of a UTI. The pain and irritation makes the cat feel like she has to go all the time, so she is constantly straining to squeeze out urine. And since she's trying all the time, of course only a few drops will come out.

I do urge you to have the blood work done.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The vet said that it was down to stress and the food we were giving her. We're trying the best we can to sort it out, starting with taking away their dry food.

·
It's all for them
603 Posts
But without blood work you don't know what's going on inside. If she has CRF, for instance, the UTI may come back. Sub q fluid therapy along with the canned diet is the maintenance treatment for CRF.

Canned food is good, I'm glad you are switching them, but a senior cat should have a blood panel done.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Senior Cats have more issues that must be watched

I was lucky enough in my life to have a cat, Samantha, who lived 18 years, still wish she could have lived longer.

Unfortunately she was have one UTI after another the last year of her life until finally she entered kidney failure I had to make the difficult choice to let her go, she was suffering and it was the only right thing to do. It is also one of the most difficult decisions us pet owners must make.

The decision must feel right to you. Don't let others tell you what to do you will know.

Just my opinion.

LeAnn:slingshot

·
It's all for them
603 Posts
I was lucky enough in my life to have a cat, Samantha, who lived 18 years, still wish she could have lived longer.

Unfortunately she was have one UTI after another the last year of her life until finally she entered kidney failure I had to make the difficult choice to let her go, she was suffering and it was the only right thing to do. It is also one of the most difficult decisions us pet owners must make.

The decision must feel right to you. Don't let others tell you what to do you will know.

Just my opinion.

LeAnn:slingshot
Hi LeAnn and welcome to the forum. No one has suggested that CookieDemon have her cat put down, so I don't know why you have brought it up.

Dinah was treated at the vet and as far as we know, is doing well.

I urge everyone to have bloodwork done on their senior cats. A UTI in a cat that age is rarely "out of the blue" it is usually a symptom of something deeper, CRF or diabetes to name two diseases that are treatable (not curable, but cats can be maintained with good quality of life for years if caught early)

Yes, it could be stress related. But stress also affects the kidneys, it's all tied in together, stress, urinary tract, bladder, kidneys.

A cat with CRF (chronic renal failure, kidney disease) does not begin to show outward symptoms until 75% of kidney function is gone. That is why blood work is so important, especially if a UTI is present.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts