Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone: I own a 7 year old shih poo named Bear. He had spinal surgery last Christmas, it was a Christmas I'll never forget. He had a herniated disk - the vet warned us it may return, I just didn't think it would be within the year. The vet wants to perform surgery again; after we said we weren't sure if we wanted to go that route again she seemed to become disinterested and wouldn't even perform an MRI unless we were doing surgery. I wasn't even sure if it was his old back problem or something else because all she did was feel his back and said the problem returned. I would like to research alternative routes - herbal remedies, natural products. Has anyone gone through this or is going through this with their dog? Any suggestions - if you have the time to share a similar story I would be very interested in reading it. Thank You

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
I would recommend a new vet, if your vet isnt willing to go with your wishes towards adleast seeing if its really that before choosing a surgery that is expensive and may even be useless and gets disinterested in an animal due to the familys wishes then I would find a new vet

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I should have mentioned that it was the neurosurgeon at the Animal Hospital where the surgery was done who diagnosis him this time but what I'm unsure of is why she thought she knew exactly what the problem was by touching him and why she didn't even suggest alternative methods before diving into surgery again. Thanks for your post.

·
Registered
5,083 Posts
If it is a herniated disk i would think it would beyond any herbal remedy. I would ask about how they would do the surgery so it won't come back. Do they need to fuse the disk? put in a rod?

·
Betta Bomb
5,202 Posts
I agree there are probably no natural remedies for something this big. I would consult another vet. In the meantime, your dog is only 7. What's the chances of this always re-occurring for the duration of his life?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you for your responses. Bear seems so much better now but I've more or less kept him immobile for a week - in a cage during the day which is something I only did after his last surgery and I also carry him in and out. I'll keep a close eye but surgery might be the only answer but it's a tough surgery so if I can hold off I'll try. I don't think it's something you can fix with a rod or fuse the disc. If I understand correctly, and I'll check when we go back to the surgeon next week, it's something that protrudes from the back into his spine and they file it down. I think I need more research on this. Thanks so much,

·
Registered
9 Posts
Definitely get a second opinion. She shouldn't have treated you that way. It is so hard to find the right Vet, one who is there for the animal and not on how much they can get you to pay. I think Vet's tend to get selfish cause their personal animals are taken care of by themselves at minimal cost. I'm so sorry for your dog and hope the best for him!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts