Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know if you call donkeys a pet, but they are to me. They don't do anything but eat, play and drive me nuts. But they are so cute. And lots of fun.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Aww they sound great! You'll need to get some pictures up so we can see :)

·
Amateur Zookeeper
3,572 Posts
Yes I would love to see pictures! I have heard that donkeys are very affectionate! I think they are so cute! :)

·
RAT ADDICT
19,199 Posts
I look forward to pictures.I was almost bitten by a donkey at a local farm...he was very mouthy.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I can't put pictures up

Can't do pictures until I have 20 posts so I need to get going and make more posts. But then I will put some on here. The donkey's names are Joe, and Mr. Gun Smoke.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I think exotic pets are cool to have but some need a lot of work etc

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
donkeys

I don't think they are in the category of an exotic pet. They usually have a job. These two were supposed to be show donkeys but they each have a little something wrong with them, so that is why they live here. I really should train them to pull a cart but don't have the energy. So they get to just eat, play and sleep.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
They're stubborn because they're intelligent. I've read quite a bit about them; they won't do anything for their owner if they don't trust their owner, and they won't do what their owner asks them to do if they feel it jeopardizes their own health and well-being. I've found several websites that said if they get startled, while horses will run full-speed back home, donkeys will run a few feet, stop, and evaluate if they should even continue running. They are incredibly smart; more-so than your average horse. They won't even cross a tarp laying on the floor if they suspect it's hiding something underneath that could hurt them. And if you earn their trust, they will pretty much follow any order you ask of them.

·
Registered
5,083 Posts
They're stubborn because they're intelligent. I've read quite a bit about them; they won't do anything for their owner if they don't trust their owner, and they won't do what their owner asks them to do if they feel it jeopardizes their own health and well-being. I've found several websites that said if they get startled, while horses will run full-speed back home, donkeys will run a few feet, stop, and evaluate if they should even continue running. They are incredibly smart; more-so than your average horse. They won't even cross a tarp laying on the floor if they suspect it's hiding something underneath that could hurt them. And if you earn their trust, they will pretty much follow any order you ask of them.
i'm not sure if that is totally true, often they will work to death. They are very smart though, and won't run blindly but i'm not sure if the reasoning behind it is totally true. They are loyal.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
That's what I've read from numerous websites. That they are extremely loyal to their owners IF their owners give them reason to be loyal to them, but in general will not jeopardize their life. They'll cross a tarp given incentive by the owner they trust, but if their owner asks them to cross a river full of alligators, they probably won't do it because they instinctively know it's treacherous for their health, as well as their owner's.

·
RAT ADDICT
19,199 Posts
WOW...learn something new everyday!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.