Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Mouse Obsessor
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With Tempo's passing, I felt an emptiness that could only be filled by mice.
Someone posted an ad saying that they no longer wanted their two female mice. I decided to go for it. So here they are.
Tango, a 1 year old agouti female. And Waltz, a 6 month old black female. They are both soo tiny. :)
Their cage (came with them):

Waltz:

Tango:

Them together:

They only came with the cage and a small food dish. Luckly I had the wheel, good water bottle, and all the treats. They seem to enjoy their new and improved home very much.
I do not know them very well, but you can tell Tango loves the wheel and the box cave I gave them. And Waltz loves millet spray and seed bars. Also they are both very well tamed. They just let me scoop them up when I took them out to fix up their cage. Waltz even was too afraid to go back in the cage with all the new stuff that she refused to leave my hand. And Waltz is quite the talker, the most squeaky mouse I have ever had. lol.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Congratulations!! They are adorable--and their cage setup is awesome! :D Enjoy spending time with your new family members!

·
Mouse Obsessor
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, the cage is nice. Looks like it was expensive. I got them and their cage kind of free. I traded them one of my Bettas and his setup.

They love to be held. I am giving them the day to settle in, but tomorrow I am thinking of setting them up a playpen. :)

·
Registered
21 Posts
nice cage

hi I think I have the same cage.is it 16"x12"x20" because that is how big my cage is and I want to put in one Syrian hamster but I've been told here in hamster and gerbil its to small,do you think a Syrian hamster would fit.your mice are cute good luck with them.

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
That is terrific! I am so glad that Tango and Waltz have found a new home with you, that is super! They are both just adorable, such sweeties. As Breyer said, enjoy your new family members...two new furry daughters to love. Yay!
It looks like they already love you. :wavey:

·
Mouse Obsessor
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just gave Tango a piece of cucumber while she was on the second shelf eating the millet pray. She just sat there for a minute looking at the cucumber, then back and the millet like she could only pick one. So I dropped it next to her and she started giggling her head while holding it like she was too exicted for words. lol
I can tell they already have strong personalities. :)

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
Awww! How sweet is that?? She thought, "Oh WOW, I can have BOTH!!" and got excited. She must be in mouse heaven with her new home and treats. :)
I love seeing how animals all have their own distinct personalities. So wonderful. :D

·
Mouse Obsessor
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
hi I think I have the same cage.is it 16"x12"x20" because that is how big my cage is and I want to put in one Syrian hamster but I've been told here in hamster and gerbil its to small,do you think a Syrian hamster would fit.your mice are cute good luck with them.
Well it is a very large cage and the bars are spaced small enough for most rodents. I would say it is fine for a hamster. My only advice would be to buy more shelves to help make sure the hamster does not fall. As they seem to be a little clumsier than mice.

·
Mouse Obsessor
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Also, Tango has not stopped running on that wheel since I got her (beside her millet moment). It is like she has never been on one before.
Waltz is sleeping right now. She is very happy to have a hide out to sleep in, before she just had to sleep out in the open with her head under bedding.
The sleeping box is cool. I found it for $1 at an LPS. It is a cardboard box shaped like a triangle with two small holes in the front and a divider in the middle on the inside of it. I can hear them chewing it up to fit their tastes. :)

·
Zoo Keeper
1,367 Posts
SO CUTE !!!! I love mice :D I had a cage set up for them but I rescued a hamster in need of a home

·
RAT ADDICT
19,199 Posts
Congrats!

Cute miceys. And Tango looks just like my Spring.
:)

·
Mouse Obsessor
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Congrats!

Cute miceys. And Tango looks just like my Spring.
:)
Cute. :)
Waltz reminds me of Tempo before she scratched her ears off. Just as sweet a personality too.

·
Mouse Obsessor
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
So, I have had them for almost a week now and have noticed something with Waltz...I think she has a mental disorder.
So she is a squeaker, I knew that. But sometimes she will be cleaning herself, suddenly stop, shoot her head up like she saw something, then squeak alot and stomp like she is angery at someone who is touching her (but no one is there). And today I saw her, for a good 20 minutes, walk in a circle. Back and forth in the same circle pattern, squeaking. Then she tried to bite the seed bar hanging on the cage and she was biting the air next to it.
She seems healthy otherwise. She has clean fur, clear eyes, she eats good and runs on the wheel. I am just confused.
I had a rat once who was a little crazy. She would stick her own foot through the bars then attack it like it was an intruder.
Waltz is not mean and does not do anything harmful to herself, Tango, or me. She just does weird things that causes me to believe she has some sort of mental disorder.
The person I got her from said they were Petco mice. So it would not be much of a surprise to find out she is a little crazy. As Petco is known for mice with bad genes.

·
Zoo Keeper
1,367 Posts
Hamsters need 30 x 12 and just enough height for a wheel.

Your girls are too cute

·
RAT ADDICT
19,199 Posts
Hmmm,it is possible she could have some sort of neurological disorder.

·
Mouse Obsessor
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Here are some updated pictures. Tango is gaining weight. :)
Waltz:

Waltz hiding from the camera while eating a treat:

Tango:

I finally found her favorite treat! Green Leaf Lettuce, always a mouse favorite:

·
RAT ADDICT
19,199 Posts
Aww,cute!

·
Mouse Obsessor
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Thanks. :)
Watching them more. I am now 99% sure that Waltz has a mental disorder. She spends most of her days running around in a circle, mostly to the left. And you can tell she cannot really control herself because I will give her a treat and she will want it and try to eat it. But will not stop running.
Also if she is circling on one of the shelves and you move her somewhere else, she continues circling where you put her.
She also tends to squeak at herself like she is talking to someone.
It is rather sad actually.

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
Tango and Waltz are sooo beautiful! Just gorgous little girls, and I love their coloring and their beautiful dark eyes. :)
I am sorry that Waltz seems to have a condition...have you talked to a vet about that? Is there anything that can be done?
The girls look very happy. :)

·
Mouse Obsessor
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I was not sure about contacting a vet. She is perfectly healthy besides her circling. And I would assume there are not much options.
It would be either something mental, or a tumor or accident as a baby. Either one I cannot really help her with. She is too small to attempt a brain tumor removal if she had one. And I do not see what could be done if it was just mental or a past injury.
What do you suggest?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts