Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
canis lupus familiaris
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I guess my boyfriend and his grandma were talking about Beau's terrible feet while I was showering today. The babes is telling me that she needs help keeping up with them. Beau is normally groomed every month....hair clipping and nails. However his nails are TERRIBLE. They walk up and down the street and have serious play but the serious play is limited to the lawn and the house...with carpet and nice, soft grass.

I'm taking it that she will soon ask for help. I have nail supplies (scissors, Bamboo brand quik stop, and a nail file) so why not? I'm just not sure how I'm going to tackle this.

He has been neutered and no other surgeries are needed so even asking for quickening is out of the question. I was thinking of clipping a little every few days till they are "conformation" short.

The real problem is with her. She is on a medication that causes her to bruise easily and the slightest scratch makes her bleed. He has learned not to scratch up her arms but still gets her legs. I was thinking...maybe add soft paws till I get them "conformation" short maybe?

Currently his nails are kinda like this. Probably a tad shorter.

I'm probably going to work towards this "conformation" short.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Wish I could advice you but I think getting some opinion for groomer expert will lead you to right action, especially knowing your dog is on a health situation..

·
canis lupus familiaris
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
She doesn't have the cash to just keep going to a groomer every few weeks except for the times she goes for his hair cut. I'm going to e-mail a local small shop and see if they will trim nails without a dog getting a bath. They don't give price quotes over the phone but he has been groomed ever since he came home. He handles well and give EVERYONE kisses lol. Wish MY dogs were so loving when I bring out the nail clippers.

I'm confident in myself (I have been cutting nails since I was like 10) but will ask around. Her vet is Banfield...so I'm iffy about asking her vet. If anything I will call my current vet lol.

·
Registered
156 Posts
We use a dremel tools. it gives u more control on how much is removed and files at the same time. But your dog might be fearful of the sound at first.

·
Registered
5,083 Posts
Call the humane society. I work at one and we will trim nails, normally for free and if you offer to pay a donation then they will be happy. We get so excited about people calling that don't want to give away their pets that we do a lot for them if we can.

·
canis lupus familiaris
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Call the humane society. I work at one and we will trim nails, normally for free and if you offer to pay a donation then they will be happy. We get so excited about people calling that don't want to give away their pets that we do a lot for them if we can.
Our SPCA, City, and County do NOT offer public services other than microchipping and rabies.

Actually County offers rabies only on certain days of the month (one day a month) and SPCA offers the most (spay/neutering as well.) Thats it.

As far as I know, he was Dremeled (I can't believe thats now a word :crylaugh: ) at his groomer so not worried about it if I get one. Its the initial cost for one that hurts right now.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Our groomer clips nails alone without giving the dog a bath. It's an "a la carte" service, I believe it's $9. For a few dollars more, they will grind the nails. Call some groomers in your area and ask them how much they charge for stand alone nail trimming :)

·
canis lupus familiaris
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Its $9 just for nails (given estimate) which is the same is if he got a bath. Anyway she is low on money (I just bought her some groceries) because she had to get her car a/c fixed. Her meds don't really allow her to drive in hot weather.

·
canis lupus familiaris
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I forgot to include that I'm also investing in a Dremel. I just like the clean look it gives. Also no after cutting sharpness. Loki LOVES to punish me by digging his freshly cut nails into my legs....Much cheaper than soft paws in the long run.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts