Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Rat Rescuer and Hospice
1,883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
She arrived biting, protective in her tiny cage, then I gave her a big kiss and she never bit again. She was scary thin, you could feel her bones and she weighed a mere 161 grams which was waay too small for a young girl. She had been a pinkie producer for the family’s snakes in her former life. Her 2nd life started with me and her little sister/friend Johari. I named her Naira which was Quechuan and Aymaran origin, meaning “large eyes”. Those big eyes were wide open checking out her new world. Could she really believe all this? Was she really here? She was nervous but wanted desperately to love and be loved but didn’t have the easy acceptance like her sister. She was finally starting to relax 2 days ago, and came out many times last night from her “cave” on my desk for kisses, or to sniff my face gently. She also lay down sprawled out and let me stroke her without retreating. But I worried. There was something about her that worried me. The fact that she gained 50 grams in 12 hours from arrival (mostly water weight as they were massively dehydrated), and then her up and down drastic weight losses and gains. Something in her eyes…her very old soul eyes. My vet was amazed when he called me and I told him “We lost one right? It was Naira?” I wish I could’ve had her for her ratty lifetime, but it was not meant to be. Do I regret the decision on the surgery? No. She had to have the e-spay, we had to try. I am very glad I had her in my life for 5 special days.

Naira, I will take care of your sister, I promise. Be free little one, and now that you realize the world can be a Good Place for you, please come back one day.

Poor little lady, she was just too thin.

OMGZ Food is sooooo good!

But Ensure is even better

Comfy with her new friend Loki

Always happy with Johari

My favourite picture of her…

· she-mayor of Whoville
298 Posts
*hug* I am sorry to hear.

Your story inspires me to get more education and to adopt/rescue in the future.

She died knowing she was in a great home. Maybe, she died of happiness.

Rest in peace, sweet girl.

· Registered
236 Posts
I cant put into word my sorrow for your loss of Naira. She was so adorable. Me, Tonya and Hector have shed our tears for her (I really did cry.) I do not want to ask you this question but I want the knowledge because I have my first pet Rat and I love him so much, and I will be getting more in the future. Why did you decide on the e-spay? Was she in danger with the pregnancy? You dont have to answer if its too much.. no worries..

All my love to you and your furry friends.

· Registered
2,347 Posts
Lilspaz,
As you may have read already, I responded to this on your other post about the girls's upcoming vet visit but I do want to say again, I am just so sad about Naira. Her pictures just stole my heart. That absolutely beautiful and innocent sweet face, enjoying her Ensure...it is hard to look at that picture and the others without tearing up. I am sooo happy for her that she got 5 wonderful and happy days full of love. I am trying to avoid feelings of anger toward the people responsible for her earlier life. Focusing on bad feelings is not needed right now, just good feelings for how lucky Naira was to find her way to you. People can be evil, ugly and monstrous. Animals are so innocent and only want to trust. Sweet, pretty Naira...we are thinking of you tonight. Run and play and be free precious girl. I know Klausse and Wolfgang and all the other ratties are showing you around as we speak. A very special girl. My thoughts are with her.

· Rat Rescuer and Hospice
1,883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I cant put into word my sorrow for your loss of Naira. She was so adorable. Me, Tonya and Hector have shed our tears for her (I really did cry.) I do not want to ask you this question but I want the knowledge because I have my first pet Rat and I love him so much, and I will be getting more in the future. Why did you decide on the e-spay? Was she in danger with the pregnancy? You dont have to answer if its too much.. no worries..

All my love to you and your furry friends.
At this point there are too many homeless ratties in the world already without me adding more, plus Naira was too young, and she had been bred back to back to back. A female goes into heat within 24 hours of birth and can have another litter 4 weeks later. I am not sure if this is what happened to her, but I assume her poor weak starved body had a litter, then they took the pinkies away at about 1-4 days then she was bred again...its terribly hard on a little undernourished ratmomma, so the e-spay was going to prevent more rats coming into the world (even if they were safe with me, it meant that 10 or 12 rats that were in danger would not go into good homes since my babies would take their place) as well as potentially save her life. It sounds like she may have heart issues which we could never have known about.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.