Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Zoo Keeper
1,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've been researching hamster foods and found out I can order 40 lbs of native earth pellets for $22 really good deal. Anyone used this? Everything I've read about it is great but I wanna be sure. Only the best for my little ones.

http://www.amazon.com/Native-Earth-Protein-4018-Rodent/dp/B00132ROS0

That has an ingredient list

Product Description

(Attention Customers: This product is the same formulation as Harlan Teklad Global 18% Protein Rodent Diet and is produced by Harlan Teklad)

Native Earth 18% Protein Rodent Diet is a natural-ingredient pelleted diet specifically formulated to provide the proper balance of all known nutrients considered essential for the growth, maintenance, and reproduction of rats, mice, gerbils and hamsters. 4018 is a fixed formula diet containing 18% protein and 5% fat. Promotes gestation, lactation, and consistent growth of rodents. Absence of animal protein and fish meal eliminates the presence of nitrosamines. Does not contain alfalfa, thus lowering the occurrence of natural phytoestrogens.

For additional volume discounts please call our toll free customer service line at 1-800-865-1333. Don't forget to order your bedding needs today!
Important Information
Ingredients
Ground wheat, ground corn, wheat middlings, soybean meal, corn gluten meal, soybean oil, calcium carbonate, dried brewers yeast, dicalcium phosphate, iodized salt, L-lysine, DL-methionine, choline chloride, niacin, vitamin A acetate, biotin, pyridoxine hydrochloride,thiamine mononitrate, vitamin D3 supplement, folic acid, menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of vitamin K activity), vitamin E supplement, vitamin B12 supplement, riboflavin, calcium pantothenate, ferrous sulfate, magnesium ox

·
Resident Aquarium Nerd
9,930 Posts
It's not bad but also not great either IMO. Lots of fillers but that's not my issue. I would personally avoid feeding it because of the menadione. I don't like seeing that in any pet food, there's a reason it's banned in many countries.

I also find it cheap that they're not using any animal or fish protein. I don't think fish needs to be in hamster foods but I prefer foods to have some sort of animal protein (preferably from insects). Their excuse is silly, nitrosamines aren't randomly present in animal proteins--just meats that were preserved using nitrite salts. So if they sourced their meat properly it would be just fine. I also doubt insects are usually preserved that way but then again, I don't eat them :lol:.

I would have considered it an OK food if being supplemented with fresh foods (which I know you do), but if an alternative not containing menadione is available, I'd go with that instead :).

·
Zoo Keeper
1,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well my alternate is what I currently feed. Mazuri. and even with a 2lb bag i buy it like 2 - 3 times a year.

·
Resident Aquarium Nerd
9,930 Posts
With a choice between those, I'd go with whatever is cheaper since they're very, very similar foods. I will point out that the Mazuri has a lot more sugar (multiple sources, in fact) though, so that may be a concern for your dwarf hamsters. I kind of like how this other food is so low in sugar... no molasses, dried beet pulp, etc.

I wish there were better hamster foods out there :(. I fed Mazuri for a while with no issues but I've mostly made my own food out of frustration.

·
Zoo Keeper
1,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'll probably order it and Kodi mainly eats Hazel hamster with all the sugary things removed. I am planning to order it when I get the spare money ( I am straightening out a lot right now) They also ship huge things of bedding straight to your door from the same place so I will order both :D

There just isnt a good pelleted formula. I give my hams the best available to me

1 - 5 of 5 Posts