Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm taking Blitzen to the vet today around 4ish and he's getting his 2nd set of shots and I'm also getting him nail clippers & I have never cut his nails before. Last time the vet cut it, but she didn't get all of his nail (she "forgot" a whole paw). So I'd like to try doing it at home.

·
Betta Bomb
5,202 Posts
I feel it is best to train your little guy to get used to having his feet rubbed and touched. So many dogs I meet will not allow their owner to touch their feet, which is astounding to me! When he's sleeping rub his paws and pick at his toes until he doesn't mind it then move up to guillotine clippers and only clip off the very edge.
Coco hasn't has his nails clipped in years because they keep trim on the sidewalk and terrain. I took him in August to have his dew claws done (those are the only worrisome ones bc they are higher up on the paw) and the groomer was impressed that his nails were naturally trim!! ^^ As long as the dog gets tonnes of exercise and rough terrain to walk on the regular claws should be fine.
But in the meantime really have him get used to the paws massage! Let us know how it goes!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you! I shall try it! The vet who cut them the very first time really struggled too and I was surprised to see that she had to ask me to hold him down. I'm going to try massaging his feet now, until my hubby gets home and then we're off the see the vet. Living up in the North, there's nothing but snow and more snow lol. So right now there's no sidewalks or any kind of road for that matter. We'll see how this place looks once winter's done.

·
Betta Bomb
5,202 Posts
Ugh! I hate winter without sidewalks, unfortunately I, and thousands of residents here in my city, are walking on the streets bc the city's up its @$$ with the sidewalk plowing AND there's a 3 month long bus strike. Embarrassing.

A good practice too is when you harness up Blitzen for a walk apply that awesome cream to his pads to prevent road salt from irritating him and he will have to stand still for it if he wants to go for a walk! It acts as a moisterizer too so its just wonderful all 'round!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Taking Blitzen to the vet today got canceled because hubby has to stay extra at work. The GM didn't bother showing up for his shift, and this seems to be happening once a week!!! SO freakin pissed! Would have taken him along with my daughter too but they don't allow dogs in taxis up here. UGH! Sorry :(

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've been massaging his paws and he doesn't mind it so much. Especially when I gave him a chip (it's a rawhide chew that's supposed to be good for his teeth). So because he was a lot calmer when he had the chip in his mouth, do you think when I clip his nails, I should give him one? Or not because he might get too used to it. Sorry my questions get pretty specific, that's one thing that pisses off my in-laws (in good fun though) lol.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Offering treats helps build a positive association to the intrusive action you are performing. Take it slow and at your pups pace. Give a super treat once you get the first clip.

Avoid holding him down while you do it. Let him decide it's ok. The idea is for you to get him to believe its his choice for you to hack away at his feet.

·
Premium Member
4,212 Posts
I dremel my dogs nails. I find that it takes a tad bit longer than using clippers, but it's a more 'natural' way to get the nails shorter. Basically you are filing the nails, so it more closely imitates how dogs would naturally wear down nails.

Using a dremel you are less likely to hurt your dog while working on it's nails.

It took my dog awhile to be completely comfortable with the sound of the dremel but now he just lays down and relaxes while I file his nails. I can get his nails nice and short and smooth and don't have to worry about accidentally cutting his quick and making him bleed. After using a dremel I don't think I'd ever want to go back to using regular clippers on a dog.

If you do a google search there are a lot of websites and youtube videos that can show you how to properly dremel a dogs nails. :)

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Took Blitzen to the vet, borrowed their nail clipper and last night he got them clipped. I didn't have too much trouble doing it..just with the first paw. Now he smells yummy and he can't scratch too much when we're playing :)

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
@ purple-hops: I also asked her about the cream you mentioned for his paws and she said he's not going to need them unless he's a sled dog and runs for long distances. They don't salt the "roads" either too often, in fact in Jan.-Feb. she said they don't salt at all because it's so cold.

·
Betta Bomb
5,202 Posts
Oh, I would still use it as a way to keep paws moisterized. It's great that there is no salt used on the roads there- I hate it! It gets onto my pants then into my skin and its the worst! I can only imagine poor Coco's feet. It helps to prevent cracking of the skin if their running over frozen solid terrain and prevents frost bite along with benefits in the summer. But I guess it is personal opinion. Now that I have it I would recommend it :)

·
Registered
30 Posts
I would not use a clipper. Grinding is much easier on the dog. I use a dremel tool but you can use the pedipaws thing you can buy off the infomercial or at the drug store.

·
canis lupus familiaris
552 Posts
Dremels are awesome and my groomer uses one. I personally use scissor type clippers...just the very end in between grindings. Spyro has all black nails so of course I don't wanna take the blame for hurting him. Loki has all clear so its easier.

As for crap on the ground you can always use boots. I have heat boots because...well...the sidewalk here gets hot enough to cook eggs on so imagine how those feet are!!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts