Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I'm in the process of getting a puppy to train as my PSD. I have a couple of breeds I'm looking at and wonder what they would run?
They are a German Shepherd, Golden Retriever, and Siberian Husky.
Thanks in advance!

·
laugh often
1,810 Posts
I doon't know the prices where you are at but you can get a local newpaper and look in the classifieds to get a hint of how much the dogs can run you. And I have heard of Huskies being harder to train than retrievers and shepards but I have never tried this theory myself.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks I will!

·
Registered
975 Posts
American Kennel Club - akc.org contact your local group for each of the breeds.

The newspaper is not a good place to find a dog....any reputable dog breeder does not need to advertise in the paper; word of mouth and wining competitions is advertisement enough for them. Also a reputable breeder does not breed their animal unless they have a waiting list of people first (homes for all the animals before hand), they have their animals health tested against genetic defects before they breed (Hips are especially important in the breeds you listed). Reputable breeders are breeding to better/strengthen the breed. A well breed dog will be easier to train than a poorly bred one because, not only do they breed for genetics they are also breeding for temperament, and trainability.

If you are going to put the time into training it I would be sure to get a dog that at least has a hip guarentee... it would be horrible to put over 2 years of training into an animal thinking you will have this great service animal only to have them develop dysplasia and waste all that training them to do a service they will be unable to perform. Spending the money upfront on the animal can also save you big time in the future with vet bills.... ask your vet how much it costs to treat hip dysplasia over the life of a dog.... it is a whole lot more than paying for a well breed dog upfront.

You could always look at a slightly older dog like a former confirmation dog... a lot of times breeders will retire their dogs out at 2-3 if they feel like they have a better dog to compete with... a friend of mine is getting a former confirmation dog to train in agility.... the price is a lot less than if she bought a puppy, plus it has already had some training and she doesn't have to go through the puppy stage or puppy vet bills.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.