Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone remember me? I haven't been on my favourite pet site in foooorever (hard times, what with people dieing, school, thieves at work, etc.). I'll put up a thread on the newly named Necho's beautiful plumage as well as update's on Hamm, Skooma and Sugar but that's for later.

Right now, I need convincing.

Ya' see I'll be moving 8 hours away to go to school in about two years. Because of this, I've been going through everything I own and downsizing when I need to. Hamm's cage has been bumped to one story because he's out when I'm home and Necho's cage needs upgrading (down in size, up in feeder doors and play area converting top). A new cat tree, less tanks, oh yes I'm purging my place.

The problem? I'm waffling on some of my decisions. In the future I'd like to have: dwarf hamsters again, maybe a snake, a community fish tank, maybe some mice and get into lizards/ other reptiles. Which is why I'm looking at my selection of tanks and furrowing my brow. Is it worth moving with them? I don't want to end up needing a tank and finding out I sold it...

I got rid of my 20 high and a ten gallon. I have a five, ten, twenty-eight, ninety, and a 30" x 12" x 13" terrarium.

Since the terrarium is lower than the tanks I was planning on putting in lights and using it to house my Venus Flytraps temporarily (I have no windows and plant-eating cats...). The ninety I want to turn into a plantarium since, again, no windows and muncher-cats. Who could deny an unlimited supply of herbs, anyways?

But other than that the other tanks only have 'future' possibilities. Meaning, after 4 years when I've got my vet tech. I'm especially reluctant to part with the twenty-eight since it's perfect for a myriad of creatures and I got it with the 90 ($50 for sump parts, sump, and tank/stand). Has anyone else moved with a lot of 'pet stuff' before? Have you ever gone through stuff? How did you decide what to keep and what to toss? Did you ever regret a decision?

·
Betta Bomb
5,202 Posts
oh dear. Good luck moving!! Is there any place you can store the tanks?? I would hate to see you get rid of them. Expensive to replace in the future if you indeed want to use them. Do you have long term storage units available?? I know UHaul does it (When we were moving last August, we had to go past someone's long term comic book/geek collection unit. The guy renting it was sitting there going through them o_O ) Probably at a cheap-ish rate. Or can your parents or a friend who has basement space keep them?

When I re-homed the turtles, the guy took the giant tank and stand and all my supplies. I knew I could never again own turtles. When I moved I doneated one 33 gal and a 10 gal to the Value Village. And the other 33 gal went to my sister. Mostly I either donate or give away. My sister has my 3 storey hamster cage to. I was pretty sure I would never own a small pet again.
If you are unsure about wanting to use them again, then either move with them or find someone who can keep them for a while. Good lukc!

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My parents were reluctant to store my other cages temporarily so I doubt they would want some tanks in there. I'll have to look into temporary storage if I can't bring them with me. Tanks are so useful, I would hate to part with one that could've been used in some way.

Thanks for the advice! I'll see if I can fashion a way to move with all of them. I don't own much 'stuff' or even furniture so the tanks should fit in the trailer.

·
Premium Member
4,212 Posts
I have a ton of pet stuff that I'm not currently using - cages & supplies. A few of the cages are quite large and tank up a lot of storage space but so far I've decided to keep them because I know I'll probably use them in the future and I'd rather have them take up space then get rid of them and have to rebuy a similar or the exact same thing again later.

If you really don't have the room for them, maybe you could sell them and save the money in some kind of pet fund and use it to buy new pet supplies in the future, as needed. Just keep in mind that you probably won't get full price selling used supplies so you will most likely have to pay more to replace them than what you sold them for.

When I moved, about 5-6 hours away from where I had lived, I personally didn't find it to be too much trouble to bring all the pet stuff with me. I didn't have a ton of other stuff to move though, since I wasn't bringing furniture or anything like that so it was mostly clothing, pet supplies, & of course my pets. But if it where me, yeah I'd keep the tanks just because knowing me eventually I'd find a use for them.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts