Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi i am new here and could really do with some advice we trying to hand feed some orphaned baby mice but not sure if we are doing it right or getting the formula dilution right. babies have a fine fur coat but eye not quite open yet. We are feeding them kitten formula every 2 hours.please could you tell me the correct dilution for the formula it just says 1 part formula (in g) to 3.5 parts water(in ml)on the tin ,so confusing we have been diluting twice but i am not sure if thats too weak. Also we have been trying to get them to poo but only two out of the 3 mice have pooed and only once since yesterday any we are doing wrong we are using cotton wool and warm water? Any help much appreciated.

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
Are they wild mice?

1mL of water weighs 1g.
You have to make sure you warm up the water to do it and mix really really well. Are you using KMR?

Cotton and warm water to stimulate them to pee and poo is perfect. Make sure the babies stay warm, they need to be warm for their digestive system to work properly. Make sure that the baby who isn't pooping has a milk band after feeding, it might be hard to see if it has too much fur, but you should definitely see a lighter spot on their bellies when they are done eating, which shows they have been feeding properly. They eat so little it might be hard to see. If you find they don't eat at all at some feedings, space them out. You can do them every 3h no problem, that's usually what I do when I rescue baby (wild) mice.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Hi thanks for reply , yes wild mice. The formula is not called KMR its beaphar kitty mik powder it says it's a complete milk replacement .it says 1 part formula (in g) to 3.5 parts water(in ml) so 30g mixed with 105ml water ,i am just wondering if we should be diluting it more for mice or not and if so by how much. i.e how many grams of powder for say 50ml of water. Sorry if i sound a bit daft just can't get my head round it.

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
i've never used that brand but just follow the instructions it should be fine.
refrigirate whatever you don't use, make sure to mix it extra well again when you are going to use it again and warm it up before feeding them again.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
so you think we should not dilute it more than it says ?
btw the little one pooed but it was a bit thick and hard for him to pass.

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
as long as it passed, it's good, adjusting to the milk.
if you dilute it more, that means they'll be eating more water and therefore getting less nutrients. If they still poo and have no diarrhea etc and eat when you feed them, don't dilute it more!

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
once they get pretty active, and are about to open their eyes, soak a tiny piece of bread in the milk and put it in their cage. They should start to come nibble/suck on it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ok sorry about all the questions only some people say you should dilute kitten formula twice for mice and some people don't its just very confusing :/

·
Registered
4 Posts
mice you usually want to dilute it 2x because the formula is too thick otherwise for them to start. You can strengthen it up after a few days, when they're a bit bigger, but they can aspirate/choke more if it's too thick.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts