Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi i have a 9 week old male beagle. he has a problem howling and whinning at nights. we keep in a kennel with food and water bed and all but nope still keep on doig it and i just ignore him so he can tire himself out . What should I do i dont have a problem if he howls or bark during the days just only nights?
thank you :)

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
have you tried putting an old clock under a pillow it sounds like there mommys heartbeat to them also make sure he has lots of toys it will take time for him to get use to a kennel, you have to slowly introduce them to it, you cant just put him in it and expect him to be just fine with it, so baby steps start with letting him go in and out of the kennel as he pleasesthen slowly work upwards, 5 mins in the kennel 10 mins in the kennel and so on so forth make him feel like its his safe area don't expect him to accept it right away. :)

·
Premium Member
4,212 Posts
Make sure he doesn't have to go to the bathroom when he howls. A 9 week old puppy should be taken out to go to the bathroom about once every 3 hours even during the night. A general estimate is you take how many months old the dog is and then add one, and that number is about how often (in hours) they should be taken out. Puppies have small undeveloped systems and aren't physically able to hold it when they have to go to the bathroom the way adult dogs can.

When you take him out for bathroom breaks at night, just take him out calmly, let him go if he has too, then put him right back in the crate. Don't play with him etc because that will teach him that howling or barking gets him out of the crate.

With all that said, because you didn't mention if you where taking him out at night or not, I'm going to say that him barking and howling when he's left alone in his crate is perfectly normal at that age. I got my dog when he was 9 weeks old too and it took about 2 weeks before we could crate him at night without him crying/barking when we left him alone.

You have to think - he's just a baby. He's use to sleeping with his mom and his siblings so being alone is probably a very new and scary thing for him. Where is his crate located? You can try putting his crate next to your bed, so he can see and smell you and if he gets nervous at night you can reach your hand down to comfort him without having to get up out of bed.

·
Registered
1 Posts
have you tried putting an old clock under a pillow it sounds like there mommys heartbeat to them also make sure he has lots of toys it will take time for him to get use to a kennel, you have to slowly introduce them to it, you cant just put him in it and expect him to be just fine with it, so baby steps start with letting him go in and out of the kennel as he pleasesthen slowly work upwards, 5 mins in the kennel 10 mins in the kennel and so on so forth make him feel like its his safe area don't expect him to accept it right away. :)
wow. this is kinda cool. i'll better try it. one of my pups experience the same as her pet. thanks!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts