Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well my 3 little ones (rats) need a bath as they smell of their pee /:
I just wanted to know what is the best way to get them all clean and smelling better than what they do right now!
Thanks ;)

· RAT ADDICT
19,823 Posts
You can bathe them in warm (not too warm,not too cold) water. Fill up the sink or the tub or even a little tote with shallow warm water and you can use a gentle kitten shampoo. They do make shampoos for small animals too. And you can bathe them that way,but make sure you rinse all of the soap out well. And then towel dry them and make sure they are not in a drafty area.

MOST rats don't like the water though,so be prepared for poops,scratching/trying to climb up your arms and squeaking. Some rats though like the water or at least tolerate it.

There are also waterless wipes you can get for rodents which might help a little...but I find they don't do the greatest job.

· Registered
242 Posts
Try tossing some frozen pees in the water if you want to do a soapless bath - those yummy treats will give them the initiative to dive under and get completely soaked.

· RAT ADDICT
19,823 Posts
Pea fishing is a fun game for rats,but I find some rats won't dive for the peas. Others don't understand what to do until you show them. Others seem natural and know exactly what to do.

Good luck.

· Registered
242 Posts
Yeah, Cocoa and Grace never got the hang of it but Mercedes loves diving for ANYTHING lol.

· RAT ADDICT
19,823 Posts
lol aww thats so cute.....but i dont understand why my little ones lay in there pee I bathed them and now they smell of pee again :/
My males do that in the summer time...if they are too warm and lazy they will pee in their hammocks and just lay in it. I call it "marinating"...lol! As gross as that sounds. :talk:

· Registered
92 Posts
My males do that in the summer time...if they are too warm and lazy they will pee in their hammocks and just lay in it. I call it "marinating"...lol! As gross as that sounds. :talk:
Lol, I hope mine don't marinate. :D

If it is because of heat, have you thought about putting some type of granite or marble slab in there and see if they lay on it to cool down?

· RAT ADDICT
19,823 Posts
Lol, I hope mine don't marinate. :D

If it is because of heat, have you thought about putting some type of granite or marble slab in there and see if they lay on it to cool down?
Oh yeah,they have those chinchilla lava ledges that keep cool and I give them ice cubes,but they still like "marinating"...dirty buggers. They only seem to do this in the summer time.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.