1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

·
Registered
525 Posts
Whatever takes you fancy and you can afford and be comfortable with. The hamsters will love either of them..:) I guess they are in the US..

·
Registered
525 Posts
I like the first one as it has more platforms. My dwarf hammie used to love throwing himself of high platforms until I got a cage similar to this one. He used to love it speeding around and going up and down the tubes!

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
I like the first one as well, are you going to connect it to your previous cage...i bet you they would love that

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Skratikans said:
I like the first one as well, are you going to connect it to your previous cage...i bet you they would love that
I wouldn't be able to connect it to the previous cage because it doesn't have the tube attachments at all

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
awww, well its def nice, you could put the two of them in the play pen

·
Registered
39 Posts
They both seem pretty nice. Personally however I won't use cages with those type of bars anymore for Dwarf hamsters... I have had hamsters get their legs caught in those bars multiple times. The last time I was sure my hamster had a broken leg-- she had gotten stuck in the bars and when I entered the room she was hanging upside-down in the air by her leg! :( Turned out she just sprained and badly bruised it luckily. After that I stopped using that type of cage for good!

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Neko-chan said:
They both seem pretty nice. Personally however I won't use cages with those type of bars anymore for Dwarf hamsters... I have had hamsters get their legs caught in those bars multiple times. The last time I was sure my hamster had a broken leg-- she had gotten stuck in the bars and when I entered the room she was hanging upside-down in the air by her leg! :( Turned out she just sprained and badly bruised it luckily. After that I stopped using that type of cage for good!
What type of cage would u suggest?

·
Registered
66 Posts
i personally dislike both, i dont like the fact, that the tubes lead to everthing, the wheel, water bottle, bed,etc. it means when the hamstre gets older, it has to struggle up them, to reach its whereabouts. my 2 robovorski hamsters were in a 10 gallon tank, with home made wooden stands with ladders and ropes and tubes for them to access all areas. of corse, some people have kept their hamsters in these types of cage and will say that are fine, but im just giving my opinion, i dont like them. i suppose you could move the wheel/bad/food/etc lower down or modify the cage. but then its just as good as buying aplain cage and builoding it up from scratch, thats what i like to do,

·
Registered
525 Posts
fur ball: that must give you great degree of satisfaction and of course, something worthwhile to do... If one has the resources, bit of talent, it must be a nice thing to do.. and, as you say, they can be changed as needed. But some of us, have to be happy with bought places :)

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
Neko-chan said:
If you can find any with the bars that look like the cage bars in this photo, that kind is less likely to get their feet caught:

you should never let them walk on exposed wire like that, they will get their feet caught, and worse they will get bummblefoot...which is painful...you should put some padding

·
Registered
405 Posts
you could also get a plastic bin.. thats what my haylee is in right now.
i just attached the wheel by drilling small holes and hooking it on. the water bottle is outside of her cage with a hole so she can get water. with a tank ive noticed its harder to attatch things. and tubs also come in many more sizes. and they are cheap and easily replaceable...
ill show a picture...

you can also make a hole and connect this to other cages with tubes. I had a cage with levels and tubes and connected it.... unfortunately haylee is too large to fit through tubes.. so i just got her another bin and left it at that! you could also be creative and make shelves too.... i think they are fun =)

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
fur_ball said:
i personally dislike both, i dont like the fact, that the tubes lead to everthing, the wheel, water bottle, bed,etc. it means when the hamstre gets older, it has to struggle up them, to reach its whereabouts. my 2 robovorski hamsters were in a 10 gallon tank, with home made wooden stands with ladders and ropes and tubes for them to access all areas. of corse, some people have kept their hamsters in these types of cage and will say that are fine, but im just giving my opinion, i dont like them. i suppose you could move the wheel/bad/food/etc lower down or modify the cage. but then its just as good as buying aplain cage and builoding it up from scratch, thats what i like to do,
I agree with you about the tubes. Cause my sisters hamster had a huge network of tubes one day it go stuck in one of the tube in a really weird position :confused: and die. I would build a cage but I don't have the tools to do so and the cage sits on a book shelf in my living room/kitchen.

If I buy one of the those cages I plan to put all the food and water on the lower level and throw out all of the tube replacing them with plastic ramps and move the wheel to a more accessible location

thanks for your opinion its really appreciate :)

·
Registered
2,238 Posts

here's my hamster's cage, well worth it, in comparsion to getting a bunch of small cages,the price will add up to be the same imo

·
Registered
67 Posts
the best cage ive ever gotten was 16x12 for a regular hammie and she loved it! it was made by all living things and it was a starter kt, if thats any help

1 - 20 of 22 Posts