Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A while ago, my boyfriend bought me another guinea pig (now named Willow) to keep Chester company because we all know guinea pigs should always have a friend. Well, it was supposed to be a boy and turned out to be a girl. So now my dilemma is they are both lonely and I'm not willing to get more guinea pigs to make it better unless absolutely necessary. So I was wondering, would it be a good idea to get Chester neutered so they can live together?

·
Rodentologist
1,941 Posts
It depends entirely on how skilled your vet is. :) Not every vet is knowledgeable about small animals, and it's very easy for guinea pigs to experience surgical complications from a vet who's more used to cats and dogs.

Our rescue routinely neuters male guinea pigs, and we very rarely have issues, but I have read of people online having serious problems because of an inexperienced vet. I like to send folks to this site:

http://www.cavyspirit.com/neutering.htm

Also note that they still may also not get along. In the end it is up to personality, and though male and female pairs are LIKELY to get along, I have seen a few pairs that didn't. However, DON'T introduce them until 1 month after the neuter -- accidental pregnancies happen in the blink of an eye, and even while you're watching!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the website Jennicat. As for them getting along, they lived together fine when Willow was a baby (before we realized she is a girl). Does anyone know the avaerage cost of neutering a male guinea pig?

·
Rodentologist
1,941 Posts
Most adult pigs will tolerate virtually any baby, so that's not really a good indicator. Babies will always be submissive to adults. :)

Price can really range, in our area $100-$200 is common :)

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks again Jennicat.

They already live seperatly so even if they don't get along they can still live seperatly.

·
Rodentologist
1,941 Posts
Oh, definitely, I just always want to make sure people realize that. In the end, like people, it's their personalities! Some ladies are just too diva to put up with flirting from a horrible dirty boy ;)

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Lol yes, very true!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.