Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner

New additions to the Hector family...

Tags
additions rat
2K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  luvboyrats 
#1 ·
Hello guys N gals & rats of all ages!!! Just wanted to share some photos of 2 new boy rats we rescued from rescueme.org... They so far are sweet but a little timid.. They never once tried to bite me.. I think they will be good friends with Hector!!! Only thing is.. they are much bigger than hector.. and according to waht pet smart told us hector is 7 months old.. and we were told the new boys are 7 months old.. so I dunno aboout the age thing... but here come the pictures...

PS.. take a look at the last picture.. The people we got them from were putting this "Smellin Good" spray fragrance on them. It makes them smell like baby powder and makes thier fur a bit rough... thier fur is not nearly as soft as Hectors... What do you think about this stuff?

the End..........

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Wow, you got two new boys!! And they are rescues, that is so wonderful! Must make you feel sooo good that you took in two boys that really needed a home. :)

They look great! Are both boys in the pictures? I was having trouble telling them apart. They have that nice smudge on their nose, like a Himalayan (Or Burmese/Siamese point?) type rat, very cute. :)

Is the ratty house that you took the pictures of from where the boys were being kept or is that house at your place now? You must be so excited having them to keep Hector company. Yay!

They do look a bit bigger than Hector, you are right. Maybe Lilspaz or Storyseeker or someone will be able to tell their exact age from the pictures? As for that fragrance spray stuff, my opinion would be NOT to use that stuff at all on your rats. For one thing, rats are very clean and they groom themselves daily and unless they are being kept in dirty housing, they do not need any kind of spray. ALSO, fragrances can be very irritating to sensitive ratty noses, so I would tell you no fragrances or perfumes around your little guys.

You will also see similar warnings on the forum about things like scented bedding, scented or perfumed detergent for cleaning ratty blankets, etc, and to always use non-scented, non perfumed cleaning type products. Including non-scented baby wipes that many of us use to clean something off our babies if needed. So I would throw that spray stuff in the garbage. I am sure you will get the same advice from others here. Wow, give us all more details soon on your new boys, and their new house. Are you trying to think of names?

#3 ·
The big cage you see is at our house now. They were actually living in a cage a third that size.... This cage has 3 levels!! WOW!!The people we got them from said they were Siamese... and the look exactly the same.. We have been trying to tell them apart... or at least see a marking on one thats not on the other... Yes we are thinking about names.. I was thinking about Whiskers for one of them.

DO you think thier fur should feel soft? Cause it feels more rough feeling.. I think its that spray stuff they were using.. Dont worry I already tossed it.

Anyway.. see ya next time...

#4 ·
Awesome, that is a great ratty house! It really looks like the same one Breyer has and that I had for my boys. Is it the Super Pet Exotics one? Black powder coated wire and blue plastic ledges with black ramps?

The fur on your new boys could be coarse and rough because of the spray that was being put on them, possibly. Now that you have thrown that spray out, you can see if their fur gets softer.

One thing I used to do to keep my boys' fur soft and shiny was a tip I got early on from someone on the forum. I can't remember if it was Lilspaz or Storyseeker? Once or twice a week, I would give my boys each a small chunk of bread with some olive oil on it. My boys loved the taste of olive oil and it helped to keep their fur shiny and soft. It was a great tip and I made it a routine to do that every week. Perfectly safe and delicious too. :)

#5 ·
Yep, Vlad, it's the exact same one we both have! :D It's a great cage, and very easy to clean, so I'm sure you'll like it a lot, Jimmie!

Your new additions are very adorable! But I agree with Vlad--definitely do NOT use that fragrance spray on your rats. A general rule of thumb with rats is to avoid fragrances of all kinds in close proximity to them, as it can very easily irritate their delicate respiratory systems.

CongRATS on your newest additions to your family!! :D:D:D

#8 ·
Beautiful kiddos! I've always been a sucker for siamese and himalayan ratties myself. I had a siamese boy named Vladimir once upon a time. He was a love!

I agree with what was said below. Most males are more likely to have coarse oily coats instead of soft fluffy ones.

And in general I'm against ever using a spray of any kind on rats because they have such sensitive respiratory systems. When I used to have boys that were particularly messy or prone to buck grease I would just occassionally wipe them down with some hypoallergenic wipes I found that are intended to use on dogs between baths. I can't remember the brand name now but they should be easy to find. Just make sure to always get the hypoallergenic variety and nothing with any fragrance of any kind.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.