Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi everyone...:confused:i need some tips on my bunny thumper....he is 7 months old and he bites...how do i stop that habbit. i've tried shouting no but all he does is put his ears back and bite harder. i give him attention he plays in our living room for hours but when i want to get to know his personality a bit more, like holding him and petting him he tries to run, or he just bites me and i let him run away. i try giving him treats but he takes it away from my hand by biting my fingers so i can drop it but i don't i just try to get him to come closer so i can pick him up and give it to him..... can any one provide me with some clues tips and advice...thank you very much....i will post up pics of him soon...and maybe a video somewhere of him playing on the couch...hes so funny.:confetti:

·
Dinky Gerbilelbow
2,425 Posts
If you let him run around your living room just sit on the floor and let him come to you! He will because he wont be able to control his curiosity he will just have to come check you out! Let him get to know you at his own pace hun you cant force him or you will never build a bond that he feels comfortable with you. When he comes to you treat him so that he associates you with something good and take it from there! He will get used to you eventually it just takes time xx

·
Registered
208 Posts
If he bites really hard then just sit with really thick clothes and gloves on and when he bites you take no notice of him, just completly ignore him becuase he is biting you to get your attention. When he is being good then praise him loads but if he bites again just ignore him. Eventually he will learn not to, it may take a while and you have to persist at it but it does work in the end.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i found a towel a new one i cant bother him while hes chewing it cuz then he'll bite me.....he comes up to me when i sit on the floor but i have to lay down to get his full attention then he gets on top of me and stays there smelling me.....um is it good or bad when he isolates a certain kind of food from his mixed food....its an orange thing and its shaped like a butternut squash....does it mean he doesn't like it?

·
Resident Aquarium Nerd
9,930 Posts
Has he been neutered yet? That should help in addition to the above suggestions :).

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
no im waiting to get him a female to have 1 litter then straight to the vet he goes and she goes too....i find nutuering before ever having is so sad....i dont maybe i feel bad that they never get to exsperience being a mom or dad but hes still a baby, hes only 7 months.

·
Premium Member
4,212 Posts
He's probably sexually mature at 7months old, and rabbits are usually considered adults, or full grown at least, between 8 months and a year old. So your little guy shouldn't have much longer to go before he's not a 'baby' anymore. Usually it's recommended that rabbits are fixed around 4 months old, before they develope any bad habits due to hormones. If you're going to breed, pleaaase make sure that you have good homes lined up for the babies, where they will get lots of attention and vet care. There are so many rabbits in shelters already, and a lot of people don't relize how much care rabbits really take and won't be willing to take them to the vet and give them the time they need outside the cage playing.

Getting him fixed will probably help calm him down and stop biting.

What kind of food are you feeding him? Usually mixed foods arn't good for rabbits. The food should just be plain pellets, Oxbow timathy pellets are a really good brand if you can get your hands on them (I have to order it online for my rabbits). Colorful foods are usually full of food coloring and other unhealthy additives. They also usually contain mollases or lots of sugar which is unhealthy for rabbits.

·
is a little "special"
4,131 Posts
Ya, you should really get him fixed. He should be better behaved after that...

And will you pleeeaaaase reconsider breeding? Hundreds of buns are killed all the time because they dont homes. For every rabbit you buy/breed, one gets killed in a shelter. Please reconsider!!

:)

·
Resident Aquarium Nerd
9,930 Posts
I, too, hope you reconsider breeding him. Do you have his pedigree? If you don't even know his genetic backround then you most definitely shouldn't...you could end up with some very sickly babies. And then there's the fact that the female could very well die during labor :(.

Please read this article as well: FAQ: Spaying and Neutering

It has a lot of great information on spaying and neutering.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
oh dear...i got him a a petshop i dont know if they have his background information.

·
Resident Aquarium Nerd
9,930 Posts
oh dear...i got him a a petshop i dont know if they have his background information.
Then definitely don't breed him. Even if he was from a decent breeder he's probably not fit for breeding...after all, the breeder would be keeping rabbits like that ;).

I would just hate to see you breed him and end up with genetically weak babies.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i still think i can try, u never know until you try.....and i hope for strong healthy energetic babies...

·
is a little "special"
4,131 Posts
It wont be fair to the babies tho is you do breed and they are sickly. :( PLEASE dont!!

·
Resident Aquarium Nerd
9,930 Posts
i still think i can try, u never know until you try.....and i hope for strong healthy energetic babies...
You shouldn't just "try" when it comes to lives :(. That isn't fair to the mom, the babies, or the rescues desperately trying to find homes for the countless orphan rabbits.

Do you realize how many rabbits are euthanized every day because they don't find homes? I can't remember the exact statistics but I know only about 5% or less of adult rabbits in shelters actually find homes. 2%, perhaps? And I know that over 90% of pet rabbits are rehomed at least once. You could easily help out by not breeding. If you want more rabbits then please adopt...don't add more to the world when there is such an overpopulation crisis :(.

I had a rabbit from one of those "let's just breed them once for cute little babies" litters. And he was always so sick and it killed me because you know why he was sick? Serious genetic problems. Because someone decided it would be fun to go breed some random petstore rabbits even when they didn't know their backrounds. Stash was happy regardless but he could've had a much longer, healthier life.

I really hope you rethink this. Please leave breeding up to the actual breeders who spent years and years studying rabbits and genetics. Who carefully choose each and every breeding pair and have good homes lined up way ahead of time. Who are actually trying to improve the breed rather then make some money/have cute babies.

I know you said it's sad that he won't get to experience being a dad. But you know what? Male rabbits barely even recognize their own babies. In the wild they don't really help at all. Actually, rabbits in general aren't too maternal. They can't afford to be since it'll attract predators.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
well these baby bunnies already found homes, and anyways im keeping some, (and what do you do when your taking hormones for a baby yourself you "try" right or wrong).

·
Premium Member
4,212 Posts
Are the homes good homes? So many people get rabbits and just throw them in a hutch and that's that. Are they willing to take them to a rabbit savy vet, to get them fixed, and to pay possably thousands of dollers if the babies do get sick or have genetic problems? Are you willing to do all that with the ones you keep?

Do the people have plenty of space, and 2 - 3 hours a day to devote to letting the rabbits play outside the cage? Are they going to indoor homes? Do the new owners know about what to feed them and everything? No offense, but I don't think you're even feeding your rabbit the best type of food. Mixed foods from pet stores arn't really that good for them.

Breeding any animals is a big responsability. Breeders go through a lot to make sure the animals they are breeding are healthy and of a good genetic line. And breeding is not cheap! I think you should do a little more research on rabbits and rabbit breeding before you consider breeding. You could be setting yourself up for heartbreak breeding a rabbit that you don't know the genetic history of, the babies might not even make it or could have health problems.

Male rabbits don't 'experience' being dads. You're not even sapose to let the males go near the babies when they are young because he could hurt them. You're not sapose to let him near the pregnant/nursing female either, because he will constantly try to breed with her.

·
Can't Stop Touching Her Eyes
2,934 Posts
I too think you should get him fixed as soon as you can. I had Oliver fixed early in life and although he does some "humping" he only does it once in a while.
My newest bunny Teddy was found abandoned in Central Park. He is over a year but less than three (or so we think). I got him fixed right after I got him. He does not know how to relate to other bunnies other than humping. I just tried bonding Teddy, Oliver and Ophelia last night. All Teddy wanted to do was mount Oliver and Ophelia. He has no idea how to react with them any other way. It's really sad. He cannot play. I hope that it will stop but it's been 7 weeks since he was fixed and he is still overcome with the need to try and mate. That is sad.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
you know something, ive noticed.....you lecture becuase im young. eventually i must know more, because ive learned all of this since 5th grade, sorry to hear about your teddy but i may be young and a teenager most people dont believe teenagers these days, im a born leader im not gunna listen to people thta i hardly know, you may think you know alot, but there's genius's out there who are probably only 5 years old....oh and if you live in pa, why do you say you found your rabbit abandoned in central park which is in ny, pa has alot of parky places, its pretty much of a huge park.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
and most male mammals, amphibians, reptiles, and birds, including humans aren't good at being dad's.....male sea lions kill babies to mate with the female she allows it becuase she is grieveing and is desperate for another, male lions kill cubs that may not be theirs, male crocodiles kill or eat the baby crocodiles if their mommy isnt around.

·
Premium Member
4,212 Posts
It has nothing to do with your age, honestly I didn't even look at your age until after you said that you think we're lecturing you because you're young.

We're only trying to look out for what's best for you, and your pets. We wouldn't waste our time and write all those posts to you just to lecture you, it's because we care.

You may know a lot, no one said you didn't, but some people on here have owned rabbits for years and years and they really know what they're talking about. Breeding animals shouldn't be where you just stick a male and a female together and see what happens - it should involve a huge amount of knowledge, time commitments, money commitments...ect. If you want to breed that much, do research, learn as much as you can, and when you're ready, go to breeders and buy genetically sound animals to breed, so that you have a better chance that the babies will be healthy. Do you even know what kind of rabbit yours is? I thought in another post you were trying to figure out what breed he is.

Honestly I understand wanting to breed your pet. I thought many times before that I would LOVE to have baby bunnies fathered by my rabbit, Zeus. But I got him from a pet store, I don't know his background, and I won't chance the health of future baby bunnies just because I want to see the babies.

It really is best to get pet rabbits spayed/neutered as soon as possable. You have already said that your rabbit is having aggression problems which are probably due to his hormones. Think of how you would feel if you had raging hormones all the time, making you aggressive to the people you should be being sweet too.

If you want more rabbits so bad, why not go to a shelter and save some lives? They have some absolutly adorable rabbits sitting in shelters all over the place. If you got your male fixed, and got a spayed female, you could bond them together. Bonded pairs are so cute to watch play and interact together. If you don't get them fixed, they would probably just fight.

I'm going to leave you with some links that I really hope you go over when you have the time.

To Breed or Not to Breed

The Hidden Costs of Breeding Your Rabbit

http://www.paw-talk.net/forums/f27/evil-bunny-hormones-why-getting-your-rabbit-fixed-43797.html

And please please pleaase look at this link on what type of pellets you should be feeding your rabbit. If you're thinking about breeding, you should definatly at least know more about rabbit nutrition - mixed foods arn't good for them.
Rabbit Pellets

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.