Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner

New Bunny Owner

4K views 33 replies 6 participants last post by  Photoesque 
#1 ·
Hi everyone! :wave:

I am a new(ish) bunny owner. I had a grey dwarf many years ago when I was about 10. Since then I've owned gerbils and rats. Those guys are nice, but they didn't quite 'fit' me.

A few weeks ago I helped a friend bunny-sit. I was hooked after that! The big lop we watched really took a liking to me, laying down for scritches and even giving me some licks within one day. After extensive research (I think I've looked at EVERY bunny website) I decided this is the pet for me!

I debated between adoption and purchasing a bun from a breeder. I think both have their pros and cons, and eventually decided to buy from a local small-time breeder since she had dwarves and I could get a young bun whose temperament I would be sure of.

So I have had Nugget, my 8 wk. old dwarf/dutch mix for a little over a week now, and he is WONDERFUL. So energetic and full of personality! Within a couple days he was binkying and dancing with me all around my room, and today he flopped in his hut. I will try to post some pics soon because he is tooo cute!!

#4 ·
I'd strongly recommend reading rabbit.org and starting to look for a local vet that can neuter or spay your bunny when he becomes a teenager. This is doubly important since he's got dwarf heritage -- the extreme shape of the dwarf heads contributes heavily to tooth problems, and many of the dwarves I've dealt with have had to have biweekly to bimonthly dental trims to keep their teeth from overgrowing.

Many, many people believe that having a bunny as a baby will make it somehow friendlier or easier to get along with, but for the most part I've found it's difficult to predict their personalities until they become adults. I've known people that doted on baby rabbits only to end up with aloof bunnies who rarely wanted to be touched and then had people rescue older rabbits from abusive backgrounds that were absolute cuddle bugs.

Sorry to be so pessimistic, but be prepared to end up with a bunny who may not like you a whole lot when s/he's grown. (I say s/he because baby bunnies from breeders also frequently turn out to be the wrong sex when they're adults). Rabbits are also social critters and many people find that they have more personality and seem happier with a friend (although bonding should only be done between two ALTERED rabbits, even if they're the same sex. Hormonal aggression in rabbits is common and they can injure each other badly.)

#7 ·
I already have contacted my vet about getting Nugget fixed and she offered to perform it as early as 4 months if necessary. They are a small animal vet and worked with my rats back in the day so they have some experience with exotics which is more challenging to find in my area. Thank you for the info on the tooth trimming, though! I didn't know that. He doesn't seem to be very interested in any of the twigs or chewing blocks I've offered him, and I'm wary of giving him pumice stone. I'll have to keep an eye on his teeth.

I did read that young bun's personalities change as they age, but I think since I spend a great deal of time with him and offer him many toys and a lot of freedom he'll be well-adjusted. And if he doesn't become a lap bunny, that's ok. It's a lot of fun just dancing around my room with him. He already knows not to mess outside of his cage and we are working on being more litter-box-specific.

I would love to have two buns, but I don't want to take on more than I can handle! I have enough savings to be comfortable with one vet emergency, hah!

#5 ·
Hi! Nugget is a cutie. I have 2 Dutchies, and they are awesome rabbits!
I agree with Jennicat... Its really important to get them fixed. One of the benefits of rescueing buns is that they are already fixed. I got Smudge from someone who bred show rabbits, and they put an add in the paper for him because he has some unique markings and wasnt showable. So I consider him somewhat adopted LOL.
I got him before I knew about rabbits at shelters (I was 9 years old), so I ended up shelling out $360 to get him fixed, and another $120+ for teeth trimmings to fix his dental problems. Just a warning that rabbits can be pretty expensive!! :)
And just so you know, most rabbits, especially hyper little dwarves, will not want to be held and dont always want alot to do with you. Ive had Smudge for 7 years, and I still cant hold him without bleeding LOL!

#8 ·
Hi! Nugget is a cutie. I have 2 Dutchies, and they are awesome rabbits!
I agree with Jennicat... Its really important to get them fixed. One of the benefits of rescueing buns is that they are already fixed. I got Smudge from someone who bred show rabbits, and they put an add in the paper for him because he has some unique markings and wasnt showable. So I consider him somewhat adopted LOL.
I got him before I knew about rabbits at shelters (I was 9 years old), so I ended up shelling out $360 to get him fixed, and another $120+ for teeth trimmings to fix his dental problems. Just a warning that rabbits can be pretty expensive!! :)
And just so you know, most rabbits, especially hyper little dwarves, will not want to be held and dont always want alot to do with you. Ive had Smudge for 7 years, and I still cant hold him without bleeding LOL!
Thank you!! I think he's cute too. :D

Wow, that is CRAZY expensive! My vet only charges $70 ($63 for me because I'm a grad student). My ratties were actually more expensive!

Nugget isn't crazy about being picked up when he's really excited, but his breeders did a great job of socializing him. Now if I relax him with some petting, he doesn't fuss when I pick him up, and actually likes shoulder rides around the house. He was probably the second calmest bun of the litter. He has nibbled on my fingers randomly when I was sitting on the floor with him though..OW! Like little puppy teeth LOL

#6 ·
He's very cute! As others have said, baby bunny personalities can be quite different than adult personalities. Getting an adult rabbit is actually the better way to end up with the personality you want. But he sounds great and I'm sure you'll have fun with him :). Definitely get him neutered when he's older, intact males can be a pain to deal with (ugh, spraying!).

#10 ·
He's a cutie. Why was the breeder breeding mixed breed rabbits though? You can't show mixed breeds or anything like that.

Either way - a tip for litter box training. It looks like in those pictures, that you have litter all over the whole bottom of the cage? Correct me if I'm wrong, I just thought it looked like that from the pictures you posted. I would only put litter in the litter box. If you're worried about him being comfortable, instead of using litter in the cage, you could get him a pet bed or give him a fleece blanket. Just keep an eye on him and make sure he doesn't chew them. As he gets older, having litter in the whole cage bottom might send him mixed messages about where he's suppose to use the bathroom.

Baby bunnies are pretty messy! It might take some time before he gets the idea of what a litter box is for. Some rabbits also stop using their box once their hormones kick it, but then get back into the habit again after they are fixed and their hormones die back down.

Most rabbits don't like being picked up. But it's just as fun and rewarding just to be able to pet and interact with them on their level too.

Congrats on your new baby!

#13 ·
The breeder had purebreds and mixed buns. I think it's beneficial to mix breeds so you don't get too much inbreeding. I don't have any plans to show Nugget. I just picked him because he had a nice disposition and was SO darn cute! I like that he's small too. Even though his dam was a Dutch, she was apparently very small.

Nugget has Eco Fresh bedding in the bottom of his cage and Yesterday's News in his litter box. For two days now there have only been poops and pees in his litter box and a couple on top of his hut. I haven't had to do much, actually. I just always scooped his stray poops into his litter box and reward him with pet grass when I see him pooping in there. (I know greens aren't supposed to be introduced until 3+ months but he was eating grass already when I purchased him and it hasn't caused any GI distress and it's a great lean treat!)

I think overall I got a pretty easy bun!:)

#12 ·
^^^^ Doesnt bunny puberty sound FUN?! (Hehe, not really)

Wow, your lucky your vet is so cheap! The neuter itself was $210, and I got blookwork ($50) and X-rays ($100) dont too since Smudge was older when he was fixed. My vet is awesome though, so its worth the extra money.
Speaking of which, its highly reccommended that you get some blood work done before Nugget is put under. :) So you will want to look into that too.

#15 · (Edited)
^^^^ Doesnt bunny puberty sound FUN?! (Hehe, not really)

Wow, your lucky your vet is so cheap! The neuter itself was $210, and I got blookwork ($50) and X-rays ($100) dont too since Smudge was older when he was fixed. My vet is awesome though, so its worth the extra money.
Speaking of which, its highly reccommended that you get some blood work done before Nugget is put under. :) So you will want to look into that too.
I know! I live in a rural area but there are so many small animal vets around they seem to price very competitively. I have read that it's wise to test them before they go under. I'm also definitely hoping that Nugget does indeed turn out to be a buck because neutering is so much easier than spaying according to the vet. I checked him last night but honestly even with pictures I couldn't tell what was going on. :confused: Too many...crevices.

#20 ·
It sounds like you've done a lot of research and are really enjoying Nugget. That's awesome!

I don't mean to sound offensive at all either, but I would never buy a mixed breed rabbit from a breeder. You could go to a shelter, even if you had to travel a bit, and find countless numbers of perfectly adorable mixed breed rabbits there.

Breeders should be breeding to better the breed, not just to get a bunch of babies they can sell to pet homes. Look in shelters, on craigslist, in the paper, ect., there are already plenty of homeless mutt rabbits out there who need new homes. They should breed for health and good temperament - and part of being a responsible breeder is keeping track of your genetic lines so you make sure you're not breeding inbred animals.

Because someone mentioned dogs - if you're getting a dog from a good, responsible breeder - they should be doing extensive health testing on their dogs to make sure their breeding animals are not carriers of genetic disorders common to that breed. And again, good breeders will not breed inbred animals.

Either way now, Nugget is lucky to have a good home. Enjoy his baby stage, and watching him grow. Baby rabbits grow up so quickly!

#21 ·
Thank you! I did do a ton of research. I can't even find any new websites anymore.

Like I said, I had a really hard time finding anything in my area. I have to drive 20 minutes just to get to a WalMart. I am not in a 'hub' of bunny activity. There is a dog pound and a humane society and they only take dogs and cats. The breeder had 8 kits. I don't think that's very much. She also has pedigrees for all the buns. She kept one tri-color dwarf but for the number of rabbits she owns she doesn't come up with a ton of kits.

The first places I looked where shelters/rescues, I'm just not in an area that's close to any place that caters to rabbits (or any small animals/exotics).

I absolutely will give him a great home. I did a TON of research on proper food/toys/housing. He has a very enriching environment and he comes out to play for hours every day. And even if he's a grumpy teenager he'll still be my 'baby bunny'. :heart:

It sounds like you've done a lot of research and are really enjoying Nugget. That's awesome!

I don't mean to sound offensive at all either, but I would never buy a mixed breed rabbit from a breeder. You could go to a shelter, even if you had to travel a bit, and find countless numbers of perfectly adorable mixed breed rabbits there.

Breeders should be breeding to better the breed, not just to get a bunch of babies they can sell to pet homes. Look in shelters, on craigslist, in the paper, ect., there are already plenty of homeless mutt rabbits out there who need new homes. They should breed for health and good temperament - and part of being a responsible breeder is keeping track of your genetic lines so you make sure you're not breeding inbred animals.

Because someone mentioned dogs - if you're getting a dog from a good, responsible breeder - they should be doing extensive health testing on their dogs to make sure their breeding animals are not carriers of genetic disorders common to that breed.

Either way now, Nugget is lucky to have a good home. Enjoy his baby stage, and watching him grow. Baby rabbits grow up so quickly!

#26 ·
Thats awesome that you did all that research... IMO, you will be a very good bunny mom. :)
Dont you just love the Language of Lagomorphs site?! I thought it was pretty neat to learn what our buns are "saying" to us LOL.

What is done is done, but if you decide to get Nugget a friend, try checking out Craigslist. There are TONS of rabbits that people are giving away. The sad thing is, alot of them probably end up as snake food because no one bothers to ask for an adoption fee. :(

And heres a tip for when Nugget starts obcessively digging at your carpet: Put 12x12 slate tiles over his favorite digging spots. Its works really well to protect your carpeting, and if they dig on the tile it will file their nails.
I found this out the hard way after Smudges completey shredded a corner of my carpeting down to the floor boards. :rolleyes:

#27 ·
Thank you! I hope so! :)

That site is so cool! And I found out that if you click on the bunny pictures, they play little Bugs Bunny sound bites.

In my area, I only found 2 buns on Craigstlist actually. I live in a college town and most people here like to get dogs to go jogging with or cats because they're busy students, etc. Fortunately both people were asking for adoption fees specifically to prevent the buns from becoming snake food. :)

The tile is a good idea! I'm sure that would be cheap at Lowe's. He LOVES to dig already so I know it's only going to get worse. He digs in his hut, in his litter pan, on my bed skirt, on my carpet, even at my little table cloth. I just gave him two digging boxes and a little cloth basket with an old shirt so he can dig and bunch in there. It's funny how fast his little paws go haha!

Thats awesome that you did all that research... IMO, you will be a very good bunny mom. :)
Dont you just love the Language of Lagomorphs site?! I thought it was pretty neat to learn what our buns are "saying" to us LOL.

What is done is done, but if you decide to get Nugget a friend, try checking out Craigslist. There are TONS of rabbits that people are giving away. The sad thing is, alot of them probably end up as snake food because no one bothers to ask for an adoption fee. :(

And heres a tip for when Nugget starts obcessively digging at your carpet: Put 12x12 slate tiles over his favorite digging spots. Its works really well to protect your carpeting, and if they dig on the tile it will file their nails.
I found this out the hard way after Smudges completey shredded a corner of my carpeting down to the floor boards. :rolleyes:

#28 ·
So.. what exactly happens to your rabbit if you don't spay/neuter them?!

#29 ·
So.. what exactly happens to your rabbit if you don't spay/neuter them?!
It it's a male, they are more hormonal if not neutered. They sometimes spray urine, develop cage aggression, and aren't as good about using their litter box. Also they'll display sexual behaviors more such as circling and humping. If they are females, it's pretty much all that, plus they have a much higher chance of developing uterine cancer.

#30 ·
How old do they have to get before it's too late to fix them? I think it's a year, right?

#32 ·
Nope, you can fix them at any age, preferably before they are 7 years old (the anethetic is harder on them once their seniors). I got Smudge fixed when he was 5 1/2.
Its a little more urgent for females though, since 80% will get cancer and even die by the time they are 4 yrs old. Its never too late to get them fixed though!

#33 ·
We've spayed and neutered rabbits as old as 8, although by that time some behaviors (like marking) may have become learned and won't stop, and if you spay a female and she's already got reproductive cancers, it has likely already spread and it's too late to do anything.

#34 ·
Oh thank the Lord!

Ruby is a little over two years old and I'd never realized not getting her spayed would be such a bad thing! When I first got Ruby the woman at the pet store said she would highly recommend getting her fixed but never went into detail. I just hope I can find a place that is somewhat affordable! My last vet moved to West Virginia so I can't take her back there again :/

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.