Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new here and a first time chin owner. I just got my male chin Weiser from a pet store 3 days ago. He dnt get scared when I open the cage or get near him. I know u have to get them to trust u but how long dus it take. I do the rasin trick and he comes up n eats it out of ky hand but when I try to pet him or pick hum up he runs away. Just wondering how long it takes or if I am doin somthing wrong.

·
RAT ADDICT
19,199 Posts
Give him a few more days to get used to his surroundings...the smells,sights and sounds.Him already coming to you is a start.Remember alot of chins are not very cuddly and mostly just tolerate handling too.

Keep talking to him and doing what your doing.I am not a chin owner,so hopefully a chin owner can offer you some more advice.

·
Rodentologist
1,941 Posts
Chinchillas aren't pets that generally like being picked up anyway. Much like rabbits, they prefer to accept treats and gentle chin scratches on their own terms.

·
Registered
222 Posts
even so, they usually get comfortable with you over time. I dunno how much you researched before getting him but they live on average 10 years but can live up to 20 (hopefully youre ready for the long term commitment) so you have time to bond with him. Sometimes it can take years for them to trust you. Sometimes it only takes a matter of days.

Also, they all have different personalities. My first boy still hates being held. He squirms around and tries to jump. My method for bonding with him was to let him out in the bathroom and let him climb all over me. He still doesn't like to be held still, but he's comfortable jumping on me. I have had him for 3 years. The second one is very hand tame. I got him from a rescue who handled them frequently and he is content to snuggle inside my jacket or hoodie pocket while I'm watching TV. He does not mind being held as long as you're careful. I have had him for a year but it only took a few months for him to be comfortable with me.

Best advice I have for you is give him time to come around, and know that he will do so in his own way and his own time.

·
I'm not weird, I'm gifted
1,530 Posts
I've had 1 or 2 that liked being "held".
By this I mean getting out, and sitting under my sweatshirt or other stuff like that, for a long time.

Most of them like getting out, and crawl all over me and other people, but they don't like being held. They prefer to run around on me on their own.

This is quite normal chinchilla behaviour. They prefer to do everything on their own.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes I did research and I've learned alot. But my chin woulnt let me pick him up or pet him. So he gets no exercise out of the cage and it's hard to give him a bathe caus I can't pick him up. I just put the dust in the house in his cage and he usese it. Is it like this caus he dnt trust me yet. And thanks for all the info.

·
Registered
222 Posts
until you build up his trust, use the dust bath to move him for out of the cage excercise. Let him get in, then take him to the place you want him to play. A small area is best at first. Stay with him and let him climb on you, but wait for him to come to you because we're so big compared to them, wer'e scary. I lay down so they can climb on me and eventually they will be all over. Then use the dust bath again to lure him back to the cage.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sorry about the slang i don't really spell well. So I've tryd to lure him out with the dust bath but he don't come near it. He still comes up to me and everything. But still I canot pet him. Any pointers on what to do.

·
1,530 Posts
You may never be able to pet him.
Is he trying to crawl on you?

For the most par, chinchillas don't like being cuddled, but if they like to jump out on you, that's really good.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well sometimes he cralws on my hands but it's only his front legs. When I try to scratch his nose or behind his ears he jus runs away. Would it be better for him if there was another male in there. I just him to be happy and to like me of course lol. Well thank you for all your help.

·
1,530 Posts
It's hard to say if it would do anything if you got him a friend. It won't get worse, but it just might stay the same.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just the other day I got him to come out. He jumped around and hid under his cage and just explored. Just about a half hour later he let me pick him up and pet him for about a couple seconds lol befor he started to squirm. Now he loves being out of the cage and I can pick him up but when he is in the cage he still woulnt let me scratch his chin or anything. But still a big accomplishment so far. And for geting another chin I really don't think my cage is big enough. It's a four level cage and he has lots of room but probably not big enough for two maybe I'll just wait and get another cage. But for now my chin seems happy. Thanks for all the help.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Thats good. I'm glad to hear he is adjusting and starting to get comfortable around you. This is really good progress. :) Just love him and spend time with him every day and that bond will grow and grow.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts