Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner

new degu owner! help?

Tags
degu
373 views 2 replies 1 participant last post by  Hound-senpai 
#1 ·
hey there! i recently got two 10 week old degu girls :degu: :degu:
i have never owned these before.... the breeder fed them rabbit food, and said it was actually good for them, so i am also doing that (except a limited amount. they eat mostly Timothy hay and romaine lettuce, and occasionally a small amount of carrots) im not sure if this is right or not?? i have also noticed their teeth are a very pale yellow, -almost white!- i have read this can just be the young age? :confused:
but they dont show signs of diabetes or cataracts, and seem healthy :) they have a good sized cage for now, but we will be building a bigger one out of wire mesh and wood. they have a saucer to run on but dont use it :confused:
i am also having problems with taming....they will sit in my hand and come over to investigate, and Echo will take treats from my hand, but they tend to nip before investigating the treats-which hurts!!- buti dont think they bite agressively ... is it the grooming? or something else?
they seem to be very sweet.... just want to know if im doing the right things? and what can they eat? thanks for the help.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.